Stuffed Bunny

November 13th, 2021

3:14pm

Location: Burkburnett, TX

**********

Samuel walked up to the edge of the cliff by Wichita Falls. The sun was hotter than the devil's butt and I had to narrowly avoid getting thrown into anaphylactic shock by a bee sting. However, it seemed our little ragtag crew was having a good time, so I tried not to be a Debbie downer by dying.

"Hey, L! come look at this!"

I turned to the left to see my idiotic best friend leaning over the side of the 54-foot edge. I firmly planted my feet in the ground and crossed my arms.

"Send me a picture, G," I responded unenthusiastically.

She looked at me from over her shoulder and rolled her eyes, but snapped the picture nevertheless. I opened my messages to see a bush of violet and blue morning glories. My favorite flower. The sight brought a small smile to my face. Waters were rampaging around the tiny bush, but it stood strong. It kind of reminded me of how everything in my life has gone. I've been kidnapped (twice), forced to hunt and kill other people, and now I'm the one being hunted. I haven't let that stop me yet and I never will.

Never have I ever thought that I'd resonate with a bush.

I sat on a rock and watched my best friend and our two new acquaintances. She was having the time of her life observing the world around her without surveying for possible exits. That's okay. I'll do it for the both of us.

"Oi, princesa! Come join the fun," Samuel called. I lowered my sunglasses to see him teetering on the edge of the drop and scrunched my nose.

"No thanks," I responded. "I like living!"

"It's okay, chicquita. If you fall, I'll catch you," he stated. He turned to me and held his arms out. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms defiantly. He shrugged and went back to wandering on the edge as if it was a balance beam.

I took notice of how Joshua and Gia were examining the different types of rocks and made a mental note to ask her when her affinity with rocks came about. Samuel was leaning as far as he could over the edge to look at something.

I looked at him warily. His feet were half on the edge and half in the air. One good push would send him over the edge. The fall would injure him if he hit his head along the way and he may or may not end up breathing water from the shock...

I shook my head before my intrusive thoughts could take over. Even though I really really wanted them to.

Conversation from the right invaded my ears and I turned my head to see what was going on. A couple was pushing their stroller-bound toddler along the path and discussing date night plans and how to get a babysitter. The little munchkin locked eyes with me and had her stuffed rabbit wave to me. A smile formed on my face and I waved back. She burst into giggles and went back to singing her song about bunnies hopping through the meadow.

"Did you just wave to a stuffed toy?"

I snapped my head to the left to see a smirking Samuel leaning against a tree and watching me. I rolled my eyes and scoffed.

"I didn't want to be rude," I answered.

He rolled his eyes and lazily walked over to me. "You didn't want to be rude to a stuffed bunny?"

There was a hint of laughter in his voice and, for some reason, that really struck a nerve.

"What if I said yes," I snapped. His smirk formed into an impish grin. "Those things can come to life, you know. Have you ever seen Toy Story? That messed me up as a kid."