chapter three

CHAPTER THREE

Fueled by adrenaline, I moved to slam the door closed but I wasn't fast enough. The blonde, who must be Rebekah Mikaelson, Pressed a hand on the door keeping it open. The other two Mikaelsons came to stand either side of her. Despite knowing that they couldn't enter without an invitation, I scrambled backwards. For now, as long as I stayed in my apartment, I'd be safe. Although, nothing was stopping them from waiting me out or compelling my landlord to let them in.

Rebekah's eyes softened, "We're not here to hurt you, we just want to talk to you. Can we come in?"

"No chance in hell." I spat, keeping my eyes of the vampires as my hand rumaged around my emergency backpack, "If you want to talk, you can do so from there."

Rebekah's eyes flashed with something akin to disappointment, "I apologise for scaring you, that was not my intention. My name is Rebekah and these are my brothers, Nik and Elijah."

"I know exactly who you are." I said coldly. Due to my research, I easily figured out which one was Elijah and which one was Klaus.

My hand finally closed around the white oak stake. I pulled it out and held it behind my back, hiding the weapon from their view. Rebekah continued to talk, none the wiser.

"Well then, I must apologise again, my brothers and I don't have the best reputation." She said with a soft smile.

"Can you brothers speak for themselves?" I challenged, thinking it best to keep them occupied.

"We thought it best that I do all the talking." Rebekah said carefully after a brief pause.

"Oh? And why is that?" I asked, tilting my head.

"Because they're idiots." Rebekah blurted out and the statement was followed by two annoyed huffs from either side of her, "Look, our brother, Kol, said you may have some misconceptions about us due to how you were raised. We know you grew up in a vampire hating Coven but you're our mate, Kresley, we'd never hurt you."

I didn't realise I was shaking until all of a sudden I was struggling to stand. I blinked as my vision began to blur and I had to brace a hand again the wall to steady myself.

"Is everything alright?" Elijah, the brother in the suit, asked. I begun to nod when I noticed that all three vampires has crossed the threshold to the apartment. I began to shake again and they took another cautious step forward, concern lacing their features.

"H-how did you get in?" I asked, my breathing having become uneven.

"I purchased the apartment block yesterday evening." Klaus replied sheepishly.

On unsteady legs, I backed away from them until I collided with the corner of the kitchen table. I stumbled forwards, wincing from the pain that erupted from my lower back. It would most definitely leave a big, ugly bruise. Elijah placed a hand on Rebekah's shoulder, preventing her from taking another step forward.

"I won't let you take me." I spat at them, gripping the white oak that remained out of their sight, "I'll die before I let you take me."

My mates seemed to physically recoile at my vow. I could hear my heartbeat in my ears as silence enveloped the apartment. Rebekah opened her mouth to speak but no sound came out. It was Elijah who spoke next.

"We do not wish to take you." He said softly, his voice smooth and soothing. He held his hands up as if he were trying to befriend a skittish animal. "We only wish to talk to you, to potentially get to know our mate."

"If you know what is good for you, you'll leave now and never come back." I said coldly, lacing venom in every word.

He sighed and looked at his siblings, the three of them seeming to silently converse. During the silence, I noticed that my breathing had begun to even out and I all of a sudden felt calmer. My brows furrowed at the change; I was meant to be petrified at the moment. Realisation struck me: this must be a side effect of the mate bond.