POWER

The ten days after the election flew by in a second. Severine couldn't believe the time had come for the transfer of power.

"Here comes the president's car. She has chosen a plated Citroën DS crossback like her predecessor, but hers is a hybrid."

"I'm not surprised. The president is often defined as an ecology ally and many citizens count on her to make significant changes in that direction," the commentator said to the viewers.

"Vous êtes prêtes madame?"

Even if she wasn't ready, the show had to go on.

Her car's door opened, and she stepped out. Severine felt a surge of determination. The palace was within reach, yet it seemed distant from where she stood.

Severine confidently donned a dark, presidential blue chapelet coat. Deliberately, she opted not to carry a bag, ensuring her hands were free for handshakes. This also presented a more modest silhouette that commanded attention. As for her hair, she chose a low side-parted chignon, exuding authority and purpose.

The visual impact projected a sense of gravitas.

She strode forward with the poise of a soldier. The world paused as the president made her way onto the red carpet under the watchful eyes of the guests and the army. Even the news commentators held their breath until Severine ascended the steps of the Elysee Palace.

"Madame."

"Monsieur."

The new and the old president shook hands.

Severine's handshake was firm. The exiting president noted that she didn't even have sweaty palms. Although the encounter was the first for both of them, Severine didn't seem impressed.

The man who stood before her was powerful, but his energy dwindled as the minutes passed, and Severine took charge of the palace.

Some people imagined the transfer of power was a simple discussion, but it was more significant than that. The protocol included the transfer of the nation's armament commands.

They went directly into an office that wasn't the golden office. The room resembled an interrogation room.

"Sorry for the discomfort. The tea will be for later," the exiting president said. It's better to get this over and done with."

A briefcase was presented to Severine. It was time to see if movies had got it right.

"Your codes to open the briefcase are unique. You must memorize them; we don't want them to end at the dry cleaners."

The banter wasn't meant to be funny; it referred to President François Mitterand, who forgot his codes in a pocket and ended up at the dry cleaners since no president was allowed to keep the codes on them in any way or form other than in their memory.

Severine opened the briefcase. Its contents weren't surprising, but it would disappoint Noëm, who imagined his mother holding the button of Frances's armament.

"This, madame, gives you direct and secured communication with the Ministry of Defense, the Jupiter bunker, the Navel base at Houilles, and the air base bunker at Taverny." The commander explained.

There was no red button to press, but the protocol for armament and military deployment was explained to Severine.

"You'll need the prime minister, the defense minister, and the chief of staff to activate anything. None are an option; all designated should be present."

Severine felt not only the pressure but also the weight of responsibility.

Power.

Severine gained a little more at that instant.