15.

Vanessa

The metallic scent of blood lingered in the air as I tried to steady my breathing. My heart pounded against my chest like a caged bird.

I stood beside Draug, my fingers trembling as he reached out to answer the hail from the incoming ship. The dark confines of our small vessel made me feel as if I was being swallowed whole by the vast expanse of space surrounding us.

He listened for a second with hard eyes before he practically slumped in relief.

"Drax, is that you?" Draug asked, his voice gruff and heavy with anticipation.

"Brother, it's good to see your face," the man's handsome features appeared on the screen, golden eyes piercing through the darkness as if searching for something– or someone. That was Drax, presumably? Was he Draug's brother?

A bunch of other faces crowded the screen but Draug pulled me aside.

"Vanessa, this is my team. They're here to help us. We need to board their ship." His gold eyes locked onto mine. I could see the fierce protectiveness in them, but also the vulnerability that came from entrusting others.

Sensing the urgency, I dressed and followed Draug. We landed in their hangar. The air was thick with tension as the members of his team scrutinised me as we stepped off our ship.

"Vanessa, let me introduce you to my team," Draug said, pride laced in his tone. "This is Torin Carver, Lorian Hale, Killian Voss, and Drax Varg." He motioned to each male as he spoke.

"Nice to meet you," I managed to choke out, my voice barely audible as I tried to muster some false bravado. I half hid behind Draug. A shiver ran down my spine as I met each of their stares in turn.

"Hello," Torin greeted me, polite enough, but his red eyes were piercing, expression serious. He gave a curt nod of acknowledgment, his ruggedly handsome face chiselled to perfection. Were those fangs peeking out from his lips?

"Welcome aboard," Lorian added, his shy demeanour a stark contrast to his tall and muscular frame. The soft glow of intelligence radiated from his piercing green eyes, betraying his otherwise unassuming appearance. His arm gleamed, metal. Huh.

"Hey there, gorgeous," Killian chimed in. He winked at me playfully, instantly putting me at ease despite his intimidating horns and demon-like features.

Draug growled, but Killian just responded with a devilish grin, his red skin glowing in the dim light of the ship, black eyes full of mischief.

"Hi," I whispered, my heart hammering in my chest as I finally looked upon Drax– Draug's brother. His sharp cheekbones and full lips framed a face that was both stunningly handsome and unnervingly intense. His golden eyes seemed to see right through me, causing an involuntary shudder to ripple down my spine.

"Vanessa," he said simply, his voice as commanding as his presence.

I gulped as the wary gazes of Torin and Drax shifted between me and Draug, their scepticism hanging heavy in the air. Lorian left the hangar and Killian just watched, a smile curling his lips.

"What is this? What business does she have here?" Torin's voice held an edge of disapproval.

"Enough," Draug snapped, his fierce protectiveness sending warmth through my veins.

"Wait," a new voice interjected, drawing my attention. A human woman stepped forward, her warm brown eyes meeting mine with empathy. "Vanessa must be like me– abducted from Earth by The Empire. She has every right to be here."

"Maya's right," Drax conceded after a moment, his golden eyes flicking back to me. "If she's like you, then we welcome her." He nodded at Maya, who looked relieved.