9 | Pretty like the Stars

As Christmas drew near, the work load got heavier as teachers tried to get in marks before the break began. Gojo, however, was far too lazy for that.

"Run outside for all I care," he said dismissively, not bothering to sign it as he waved his left hand and played on his phone with his right.

The five of you glanced at each other, then huddled up around Maki's desk, which sat in the centre, not in the mood to scold him for being a bad teacher.

"Does anyone have plans for Christmas break?" Maki asked.

You shook your head along with everyone else.

"Perfect. My family normally goes to this lame cottage out in the country side where it snows, but my parents are off on a business trip and my chalet asked if I still want to go. It can hold five people, as long as I make sure my sister doesn't come, so we should totally go."

"You have a sister?" Yuta asked.

Panda began coughing aggressively, and Yuta was quick to back off.

Maki's brow twitched but she let it go just that one time. "Who's down?"

"I'll go if everyone else does," you said.

"I'll go," Toge added, and Yuta nodded along.

Panda put his hand on his mask's chin. "I'll ask my dad, but I'm pretty sure I can go."

"Perfect. I'll text you the details."

•••

You stifled a giggle as you watched Maki nearly get buried in cards of adoration from admirers who would poke their heads around corners or watch from second floor windows, hoping to catch of glimpse of her.

She scoffed, gathering the fallen envelopes and papers, and tossed them in the nearest garbage can.

"Not a fan of them?" you asked.

"Never was. Never will be."

Christmas gifts were always a little too intimate for you to be given to someone you could only look at from afar.

You opened your locker and pulled out your bag as the school bell rang and Toge and Panda came running up the stairs from their own lockers.

"Is Yuta ever going to be comfortable with walking with us?" you questioned with a frown, handing Toge your gym bag so you could put on your backpack, although he had developed a habit of not giving it back until you separated.

Maki glanced out the window that was across from your lockers and frowned. "I don't think that's the problem."

Having not heard her, you began walking down the hall when Toge took your arm and stopped you, pointing through the glass facing the back of the school.

There, Yuta stood with a girl with long brown hair and a uniform that wasn't yours.

The four of you pressed against the glass like nosy neighbours as he spoke to her, a grin on his face like you had never seen before.

"What's he saying?" Panda asked you.

"How am I supposed to know?"

"Can't deaf people read lips?"

"You watch too many movies."

The four of you waited until the girl left and you watched Yuta grin to himself before walking away with a new bounce in his step.

"Aw, he's in love!" Panda cooed.

You laughed, pushing them out from the view of the window before Yuta noticed the hoard of people staring through the clear panes.