III

Julia Allard's POV

"Sorry, anak. May gagawin ako ng araw na yun. May taekwondo tournament kasi yung mga kapatid mo on that day."

I looked at my mom in disbelief.

"Mommy, that day is my 18th birthday! You promised! Why can't you, just for once in my life, be there for me!?"

Nagulat na lang ako ng sinampal ako ni Mommy.

"I did not raise you on my own just so you can raise your voice at me, Julia! At tsaka 'wag ka ngang makasarili! So what kung birthday mo? Hindi mo ba naiintindihan na this could change your brothers' future. Wake up, Julia! Not everything is about you! Don't be selfish! Yes, I did promise! Pero some promises are made to be broken! Ano bang gusto mo? Baka gusto mong mapalayas! Hindi naman katapusan ng mundo kung hindi ka mag-debut! Hindi lang ako makakapag-attend ng debut mo, sisigawan mo na ako? Tandaan mo, Julia, you do not talk to your mother like that! Just get out!"

I grabbed my bag and headed out for the door.

I hate this house. I hate it here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walked into the classroom and received a number of gasps and stares.

I sat down and Savannah walked up to me.

"Pres? Dumudugo po labi nyo."

I touched my lip and sure enough, it was bleeding.

Umiling ako. "Don't mind that. It's nothing. I just bumped into a door."

I could tell Savannah wasn't convinced and that she wanted to ask more, but she just held herself back and nodded, to which I am grateful for.

Ramdam ko yung titig nila sa akin as I fixed myself. It felt suffocating.

It feels suffocating.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yuki Rosario's POV

"Pansin nyo din ba na namamaga yung pisnge nya? And may marka ng kamay. Feel ko hindi sya tumama sa pinto. Baka siguro sinampal."

I heard Savannah scold her classmates.

"Ano ba? Tigil tigilan nyo yang chismis nyo! That's her personal life. It's none of our business if she doesn't want to share."

I walked up to her.

"Anong meron? Anong pinag-uusapan nyo?"

Savannah turned and smiled.

"Ay! Hello po, Chairman!"

I nodded. "Hello. Now, my question?"

Savannah looked at her classmates and sighed.

"Ganito po kasi yun, Chairman. Pumasok po kasi si Pres ng dumudugo yung labi nya. Then may hand print po sa pisnge nya and may bruise po sya sa cheek. Nung tinanong po namin sya, ang sabi nya lang po, tumama sya sa pinto."

I nodded and thanked her before I ran off to search for Julia.

Knowing that girl, she's probably thinking of keeping it a secret.

I found her sitting by herself on one of the tables in the junior high school canteen and I immediately ran up to her.

"Julia...?"

She didn't look up. She covered her face and looked away.

I yanked her hand away and I was surprised with what I saw.

There was a purple-bluish bruise forming on her cheek and her lips were busted.

"Who did this to you?" "No one. I bumped into a door." "That's bullshit, Julia! Answer my question! Who did this to you?" "That's none of your business." "Yes, it is, Julia! Especially when it has something to do with you! Now let me ask you again; who did this to you?" "I told you it was no one!" "Oh, to hell with that answer, Julia! Give me a proper answer!" "Why do you care?"

I slammed my hand on the table. "Because it's you!"

I watched as her eyes widened in surprise. But I couldn't care less. She needs to understand na there are people around her na nag-aalala sa condition and situation nya.

She yanked her hand away and looked down. "If you really want to know it was Mommy. She slapped me earlier. She told me that I was being selfish kasi I insisted na dapat mag-attend siya ng debut ko. I reminded her that she promised pero sabi nya na some promises are meant to be broken daw. It hurts."

She looked down as she bit her lip to hold back her tears. "Masakit sya kasi I couldn't believe that I was that naive to think that my mother would ever look my way and prioritize me for once. I know that it was a ridiculous idea. But she shouldn't have promised kasi she got my hopes up. She made me hope that she's going to give up some time for me."

I didn't hesitate. I pulled her into a hug, burying her face into my chest.

"You know, you're stronger than I thought. I don't think I could ever go this far without ever trying to commit suicide. Kasi it takes guts to make it this far without breaking down. You're strong. You're so strong. But it's okay if you want to lean on someone for support. You have your friends naman, di ba? You have Therese and Miko. And I'm sure na willing sila na isupport ka with what you're going through. Nandito din naman kami nila Emerson if gusto mo ng support. Tandaan mo, Julia, that you are never alone. Andito kami. And yes, I know that we don't always see eye to eye. Pero, kami yung friends mo. We may be rivals, pero first and foremost, we are friends. And friends stick together. Julia, you are human. You get hurt, you cry and you feel betrayed. And that can't be helped. So what you're feeling right now is valid. It's okay to cry. It's okay to feel selfish. Because if you don't put yourself first, no one else will. And right now, I'm proud of you for opening up to me. I'm proud of you for standing up for yourself. I'm proud of you, Julia. I'm very proud of you."

And with that, she broke down. She cried her eyes out and I could have sworn I felt her tears soak my shirt. Pero that wasn't important. She needed this. And I'm gonna let her have it.