Chapter 9 Sickness

As Jie lay unconscious on the floor, Ming stared at her, his mouth agape.

"This child..." he said.

He'd kept a keen eye on what was happening within her dantian while she cultivated for the first time.

She'd rotated Essence and purified it at a freakishly fast speed and then drawn in even more Essence before stopping the rotation and detonating it to create dragon lightning qi.

He saw that qi now, flickering within her dantian.

More qi than the most gifted followers of the Great Lightning Dragon had ever made their first time... and she'd survived the explosion too and without any internal injuries!

"This kid is monstrous," Ming muttered as his lips split into a smile.

He'd chosen well.

It would normally take disciples of the lightning dragon a week or more to make the qi she'd created in just an hour.

Though she'd been knocked unconscious by it, did that matter?

The problem with dragon lightning qi was how painfully slow it was to refine Essence to its purest form and then beyond that into dragon lightning qi.

There was no telling how much longer they had before Fang Zhuyu's followers freed him, but her insane cultivation speed gave him hope.

"This kid was born to be a cultivator," he said as he watched her sleeping form.

He frowned when he noticed her filthy, sweat-soaked hospital gown. "Hmm... I'll have to get her some clothes. Can't have her running around like this. It's absurd," he said.

Ming coughed into his hand and looked at it.

More blood. Damn it. The travel here and remaking the girl's body had taken a hefty toll on him, badly damaging his cultivation, and he was suffering greatly. He'd poured what healing energy he could into his wounds, but for some reason, they were not closing as they should.

He'd begun to think that perhaps their mysterious helper had cursed him, but when he scanned those foreign energies, he found them to be doing quite the opposite. They acted like a bandage upon his wounds and without them, he would surely be dead. But, why then was he not healing as he should? He wondered.

Ming shook his head. Perhaps he was being overly concerned. Such injuries could take time to heal after all... he activated one of the storage rings upon his taloned fingers and a green sphere appeared between his thumb and forefinger. A healing pill for the god rank.

A treasure that those below his rank would kill for. He tossed it into his mouth. The instant it touched his tongue, it melted into waves of soothing, healing energy that flowed all through his body. Some of the pain and discomfort that'd been nagging at him melted away.

Yet, his injuries barely seemed to respond at all to the influx of healing energies. He frowned at that. A healing pill of such power should've done a great deal more to repair his internal injuries.

Is there something I'm missing? Ming wondered as he scanned his body once again, yet still felt nothing that would reveal why he was having such difficulty healing.

Just to be safe, he withdrew a pill that burned with a ghostly white light and tossed it back into his mouth as well. Its ghostly fire burned through him, dispelling any curses of the god rank and below. It was hard to tell if it helped at all.

Still, despite his concerns, Ming was confident that he would find the answer and heal himself. Hopefully, they wouldn't encounter any great dangers before he'd undone the damage.