Chapter 5

They heard sirens in the distance. Odd.

"You probably should, my father might just shoot you if you don't." She laughed, following him to his truck. He opened the door for her, letting her climb in before he shut it.

He ran around to the other side, climbing in and putting on his seat belt, before he started towards her house.

When they arrived, they were greeted by an ambulance and a medic crew.

Hadley quickly stepped out, Cade following her.

She watched as two Paramedics brought her father out of the house on a stretcher, getting him into the back of the ambulance.

"Oh my god..mama!" She called out, running into the house.

She found her mother putting stuff into her purse and grabbing her jacket.

"Oh, Hadley," She cried, wrapping her arms around her. "He had a heart attack...I've got to go."

Her mother kissed her cheek, nodding at Cade before she ran to the ambulance, climbing into the back.

She stood in shock, trying to process what just happened.

"Do you want a ride to the hospital?" Cade questioned, looking down at her with concern.

"Yes, yes please," She started, blinking quickly. "Just let me change." She kicked off her boots, running to her room and tossing his flannel onto her bed, slipping her dress off and a pair of jeans and a Carhartt hoodie on.

She ran back to the door, putting her boots back on and following him to his truck.

He sped down the gravel road and onto the highway, heading towards the hospital.

She walked quickly into the main entrance of the hospital, Cade tailing her. She found her mother sitting in the waiting area, bouncing her leg.

"Mama." She spoke, slowly approaching her with worry. Her mother looked up at her. Her eyes were red and puffy.

"Hadley..." She softly spoke. She stood, and Hadley engulfed her in a hug.

"How's dad?' She asked, pulling away and looking at her mother, who sat down. Hadley sat across from her, Cade taking a seat beside her and removing his hat, laying it on his lap.

"They were able to resurrect him in the ambulance, he's been in critical condition since and there's been no other update."

Hadley nodded, leaning back in the chair and bouncing her leg. Cade moved his hand to hers, taking it and gently rubbing a circle with his thumb.

He looked at her with concern.

"I'll stay with you tonight. You look like you'll need it." He spoke softly, continuing to hold onto her hand.

Her mother watched from afar, a slight smile appearing on her face. The two were perfect for eachother. She could already see how much her daughter fell for this boy....

Hopefully it's been enough to have her stay.

She remembers the first time she met John like it was yesterday. He was the best bull rider in the local rodeo. The moment he laid eyes on her, she was all he wanted.

She had felt the same way.

Her father hated the boy. So they snuck around. He wrote her letters, so many of them. She still has those letters.

It took ages for her father to approve of John. Her father soon saw what she saw in the boy, and decided he'd rather his daughter be happy.

Reading the letter Cade wrote Hadley after a week of talking, she knew that the boy had fallen head over boots for her daughter. It brought her joy.

Hadley never read that letter.

She rested her head on his shoulder, zoning out on an older lady being pushed in a wheelchair by her son. He wrapped his arm around her shoulder, holding her close.

Hadley closed her eyes, beginning to doze off.

It made him smile, despite the circumstances.

"You really love her, hey?" Her mother asked.

He looked up at Anne, nodding.

"It may seem weird and early....but yes. I love her with my whole heart. Ever since highschool, actually..." He paused.

"I remember seeing her in my classes, and always thinking, 'Gosh, she's gorgeous.' And at the rodeos, she was one hell of a competitor. I was always too shy to say anything."

Anne softly smiled.

"I'm glad. It seems she's really falling for you." She spoke. "There's never been a boy til you."

"I'm honoured, ma'am."

"You should be."