○ Chapter 07 ○

It was Saturday today and I couldn't be more glad. After receiving those soul sucking texts yesterday, I was not ready to go to the office just yet. So, instead of sulking in my apartment, I decided to go out for some fresh air. Anything to get me out of being cooped up in that dark apartment.

Keeping my drunk mental note in mind, I had also called my parents back home early in the morning. After talking to them, I felt so much lighter. I couldn't talk to Austin because he had to attend his football practice in school. However, it was good to hear my parents’ voices again and to know that they were safe and sound.

For now…’ A disturbing voice echoed in my head.

I needed some coffee to get into my system before I could think straight. Which was why, I was sitting in a cafe, sipping on my black coffee and staring out the window I was sitting next to.

It was a really bleak day and I almost felt like I was controlling the weather with my mood. My head was still hurting and all I could think about was, what did that person want?

My thoughts were interrupted when I felt my phone vibrating in my jeans pocket. My heart stopped for a second but I dared to remove it and unlocked the screen. However, a sigh of relief escaped me when I saw it was just Ryan. I opened the message and I could feel those warm feelings bubbling my insides. He had the power to eradicate my bad mood.

Ryan: How you feeling? Jess and I can come over to your place later if it's okay with you?

Smiling, I looked out again before looking back down at my cell phone to reply.

Kristen: Sure. I could use some company.

Ryan: You got it ;)

A wink emoji!’ I giggled softly because I could feel that there might be something between us. Or did someone just randomly use a wink emoji? I couldn't tell, except for the fact that I was excited to see Ryan. And Jessica as well.

“Kristen? That you?”

I looked up to see Wesley looking at me with unsure eyes. However, they brightened up when he saw it was me. I mirrored his expression because I was surprised to see him, too.

“Of course it's you.” He smiled cheekily.

I smiled back. “Wanna sit?” I gestured toward the empty chair in front of me.

He accepted it gratefully. “I didn't expect to see you here,” he commented.

“Well, this is the only place you'll expect to see me the most,” I joked.

He laughed and just shook his head before replying. “Because it's near your place.”

I nodded my head. As he was giving his order to the barista, I stared at him. I had all but forgotten about him because of everything going on in my life. Who knew throwing a shoe at him could lead us to being friends. I expected my heart to beat fast at the sight of him but it wasn't there.

It was such a funny thing considering just two days ago, I was giggling cutely because of him. Was it just a crush then?

My thoughts were put on a hold when I felt him boop my nose. Blinking, I gave Wesley a baffled look.

He started laughing, probably at my expression. “I am sorry, I did that because you were spaced out.”

And I felt like I spoke too soon because there was that small flutter in my belly. His beautiful smile was contagious. Just like that my confusion was back. Maybe, I really was crushing on two guys at the same time.

“Kristen?”

I noticed that his order was placed in front of him. I really needed to stop spacing out in people's company but I couldn't help it when my head was a complete mess with all kinds of thoughts.

I took a large sip of my black coffee - a huge mistake - before looking up at him. “Sorry, I've got a lot going on right now so I'm kinda distracted.” It was the truth.

“You wanna talk about it?” He raised his eyebrows and I could deduce that he was worried about me.

Chuckling softly, I shook my head. “I'd rather not,” I replied. I wanted to tell him, wanted to confide in him about my problems but I didn't have the strength to talk about it just yet. Most importantly not to someone whom I barely knew. Wesley gave off the kind person vibes but my trust issues were an obstacle.

“I totally respect that,” he assured me.

I was taken aback by his kindness. If the roles were switched and if someone had hit me with a shoe, I'd be avenging that person's death in my head.

Again and again, this person had shown me that he had a big heart and an even bigger forgiving spectrum.

“You're always so nice to me,” I murmured as if in a trance.

“What?” He chortled, disbelief overtaking his features.

“I mean… I mean, you forgave me so easily after I threw my shoe at you,” I explained to him, mortified.

“Because, Kristen, you didn't do it on purpose. So I don't even think about that incident. Besides, this is even better, don't you think? Us meeting because of that night.” He beamed. There was a beautiful glow in his face and I couldn't help but find him very attractive at that moment.

“Thanks, Wesley. You really are so kind,” I told him.

“Please, now you're just flattering me,” he joked but his cheeks were beginning to turn a light shade of pink. He had the decency to blush and damn, was it a sight!

“I am being honest!” I exclaimed, trying to hold in my laughter but failed to do so.

Wesley just rolled his eyes but there was a hint of a smile on his lips. His lips. And that thought was enough to make me look away. Something was definitely wrong with me.

“Are you free today?” He asked me hopefully.

It was the second time I was caught off guard by his words. He must have taken my silence as an automatic “no” because he quickly explained himself.

“I am only asking because I was wondering if we could hang out together? From what I've known and seen, you seem like a really cool person,” he said.

I was stumped to say the least. I seemed like a ‘cool’ person. Truth be said, being called “cool” was even better than being called “cute” or “pretty” or “hot” or “gorgeous”, according to me. For me, it was equivalent to being called “beautiful” or “I like you.” So imagine my surprise.

“I mean it's okay if you don't want to.” He laughed nervously when I still didn't say anything.

“Um… actually, it's not that I don't want to. It's just that I've already promised to hang out with my friends after lunch,” I told him with an apologetic smile.

Wesley's expression dropped but it didn't last for more than a second and I almost thought that I had imagined it. “That's fine.” He didn't seem so “fine” with my reply though.

I don't know why I uttered those next words but I couldn't stand seeing his downturned face. Especially not because of me and especially when he was being so kind to me. “You can tag along if you want.”

It was enough to brighten up his face. “You sure? Your friends won't mind?”

“One hundred percent. And no, they won't.” I beamed at him, even though my thoughts didn't stop themselves from berating me.

Was it a bad idea? Absolutely yes! But was it worth it? Damn freaking yes because of his gorgeous smile!

However, all the worries escaped my mind as we continued talking about the random stuff.

“You know, this gives us more time to spend together before we hang out with your friends,” he said, his tone suggestive.

And there was that somersault in my belly. Again. I couldn't put my finger on what he was suggesting, so I just passed him a small smile.

Just like that, all of a sudden I was hopeful that today could turn out to be better than the dark weather outside.