○ Chapter 08 ○

It was a disaster.

What was I thinking when I had agreed to bring Wesley along to hang out with my friends? That's right. Because I wasn't thinking.

The four of us were all cramped up in my living room. I resorted to standing because there wasn't much space for me to sit on the couch. But it wasn't the sitting arrangement that bugged anyone - besides it was just me standing, so - as much as an addition to the group did.

The whole afternoon, we tried watching movies and playing scrabble but everything was a war zone before we actually did something. And just like that, the evening turned up on everyone's doors.

Once we, meaning, only Jessica and I, were running out of ideas, I put some snacks on the coffee table. However, it was a moot because Ryan kept sighing and glaring at nothing in particular, Jessica shifted in her seat uncomfortably while glancing at me every few seconds and Wesley… well, he was enjoying himself as he looked around the room with interest.

A scene straight out of some dramatic movie. I could really use it as an idea in my ongoing book, the thought just occurred to me.

“Um…” I decided to break the thickening silence. “I was thinking, let's go out for some drinks?”

“Sounds like a plan to me!” Jessica bounced off from the couch and clapped her hands. I could tell that she, too, wanted to escape the tension in my living room.

Aww, Jessica, my vibe girl.

Ryan and Wesley just wordlessly nodded their heads. From the looks of it, I could tell that Wesley recognized Ryan from that shoe fiasco day in the office, which is why he was reciprocating Ryan's feelings.

Within an hour, we were all gathered inside a club that seemed to be slow on customers. I didn't mind it, though, and made our way toward an empty booth in the corner.

Our table was silent and every time, it was like that, I would kick myself in my thoughts. I should have known that Ryan didn't like Wesley since the first time he had seen him.

Annoyed and having had enough of the nonsense, I banged my hands on the table. Even though it was my fault, I was also tired of their behavior toward each other. It was exasperating. “That's enough, guys. If you just wanna keep being, babies, then I'm leaving. With Jessica.”

“What?” Ryan sputtered out as Jessica heaved a sigh of relief.

“I am not gonna repeat it. You guys heard me. C’mon, Jess.” I motioned for her to follow me.

Both Ryan and Wesley stared at us, dumbfounded and were about to get up from their chairs when I stopped them with my palms.

“Don't follow us. Strictly,” I ordered with a glare.

“Oh, my God, it was so tense back there,” Jessica exhaled a long breath once we were outside the club. She leaned against the brick wall and gave me an unamused look.

“I am sorry,” Was all I said as I kicked a lone pebble. I looked up when I felt Jessica's hand on my shoulder. “I am sorry I couldn’t stop myself from inviting him with us today. He just looked so hopeful. And as usual, Kristen Reese fucked up. I know.”

Jessica just gave me an empathetic smile. “I know,” she repeated with a wink. “I mean who could resist a guy like Wesley?” She joked.

That was enough to bring a laugh out of me. “Thanks, Jess. I mean, for everything. All the support you gave me today when all Ryan did was… I don't know,” I murmured the last part in a defeated tone.

“Well, can you blame the guy?”

My brows furrowed at her reply. “Was that some kind of cryptic message that you don't want me to understand but also want me to understand at the same time?

“It's only cryptic because you don't let your thoughts cross the limit,” she answered, increasing my confusion further.

“I'll pretend I understood what you're talking about.”

Jessica only laughed. She didn't say anything after that and quietly stared straight ahead.

I took that moment to do the same. The cars were speeding down the street and it was as if I was in a haze. I was present but I was also losing focus on the present. My thoughts were all having a field day because they were all over the place.

“Kris?”

I glanced to my right to see Jessica giving me a concerned look. “Are you okay?”

“I don't know.” I shrugged.

She turned to fully face me. “What's going on, Kris, tell me?”

Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath. “Some other day? I don't feel like talking about it,” I replied.

Before Jessica could probe me any further about it, Ryan jogged toward us, followed closely by Wesley. From the looks of it, they didn't look very happy about the arrangement back there.

“Hi,” Ryan mumbled, his hands in his pockets. “I am gonna call it a night, guys.” He sounded frustrated but he almost calmed down when our eyes met. “Good night.”

I looked at Jessica with wide eyes but she just shook her head, resigned. My eyes trailed Ryan as he hailed a cab and left the three of us standing there.

“See you on Monday, girl.” I didn't blame her but it was Ryan's exit that hurt me.

And just like that, it was just Wesley and I. He was still frowning.

“I know what you might be thinking about me. What an arse, right?” I told him.

Wesley's head whipped toward me and he seemed offended. “I'd never think like that about you.”

I felt bad for assuming but I couldn't help myself. It was as if I was a changed person these past few days. Was I really finding excuses for my behavior? I was becoming exactly into a person I always thought were pretentious. Was I turning into one?

Wesley moved forward and took my hands in his. It was a nice feeling.

His hold gave me a sense of comfort but I was too far gone to feel it. I ruined everyone's day. It was all my stupid doing. I could feel the tears pricking my eyes.

“Hey, hey,” Wesley whispered. “If anyone's an arse here, then it was that Ryan dude.” With that, he gently wiped my tears.

Still crying, I stared into his beautiful and soft blue eyes. I felt vulnerable. I was vulnerable in front of him. “I feel so stupid. I should have known.”

“Kristen…” He cupped my face and I could literally paint the man right in front of me with words. There was an air of mystery about him but I was in no rush to figure him out. “Please don't cry.”

And it just made me cry harder.

Without any warning, Wesley pulled me into his arms. I gave in and sobbed for quite some time until it turned into just sniffling. Closing my eyes, I relished more of his warmth before pulling away.

That's when I realized that I was crying because everything was taking a toll on me lately. I believe I needed to cry in front of someone else to feel like the weight had been lifted off of my shoulder.

I now understood why I was being attracted to Wesley. It was because of his kindness. But at that moment, I could only think of one thing. He was not just a petty crush but a good friend now. A friend who I could rely on and who understood me.

“Thanks, Wesley,” I whispered, still holding onto his t-shirt.

“Anytime.” He smiled that beautiful smile of his and I couldn't help but mirror his expression.