Chapter 1

"I'll have some sausage and two eggs cut lengthwise, alright?" Someone piped up in a squeaky voice. Hmm, not a regular, but a customer nonetheless.

"You got it," I replied with a smile. Today was a good day for business. Customers were piling in one by one, and it looked like this morning we were in for a long day.

Typically, people tended to hang around the local bar, but after a little incident between two regulars, people have been frequenting here more. Rumor was that the staff messed up the orders, one customer accused the other of stealing his food, and the rest was history. Bars are always rowdy, I mused.

I turned around and pushed open the kitchen door, calling out. "We need sausage and two eggs cut lengthwise, OK?"

Dave, my father, and the head of the restaurant looked up from his chopping board and asked, "No trouble today?"

"Nah, I got a feeling I'll even beat my record today," I boasted confidently. Surprisingly, even with the influx of more customers, I had kept my cool.

"Good for you. The sausage and eggs will be ready in a minute." Dave replied before turning to the rest of the kitchen staff.

I went back to the front desk and leaned back in my chair. I couldn't help but just enjoy the aroma of coffee and breakfast filling the air. Someday, maybe I would be able to run the restaurant and perhaps work in the kitchen instead of outside. There wasn't much to do other than taking orders and greeting customers, but Dave always said that I played an important role in maintaining customer satisfaction and such. I don't know-I'm still not convinced.

A squeaky voice broke my train of thought, and I jumped up in my chair, sending it crashing into the wall. "Are my sausage and eggs ready?"

Sliding my chair back, I replied, "Yeah, they'll be ready in a moment." I pivoted and poked my head into the kitchen. "Are the sausage and eggs ready yet?"

Chester, a plump, grouchy fellow, looked up from the cutting board and said, exasperated, "Can you be patient? I'm in the middle of cutting the eggs."

I took a few deep breaths. It's not worth getting frustrated over. "Alright, call me when you're done."

I stepped out of the kitchen and glanced at the customer. "Your breakfast will be ready momentarily."

"Just hurry it up, I'm a bit hungry," the customer fidgeted impatiently.

Ding!

The familiar bell alerted me, and I passed the counter, strode into the kitchen, and grabbed the plate placed on the table. Carefully balancing it in my hand, I pushed open the kitchen door and walked towards the customer's table.

"Your sausage and eggs, sir," I said, being formal just like I practiced.

"Thanks..." The customer cocked his head and stared at the eggs. "I believe I asked the eggs to be cut lengthwise."

My eyebrows furrowed, and I looked at the customer strangely. "I believe that they are cut lengthwise."

"Not evenly though."

Then it started. First the shaking, then my blood started boiling, and I almost forgot to take a few deep breaths before my face got all purple.

"Why does that matter?!" I struggled to get every word out, struggled to contain them so they wouldn't come bursting out of my mouth like a volcanic eruption.

"Well, you did say satisfaction guaranteed in the front of the restaurant, and,'' the customer snickered, "I'm not satisfied. Even the bar was better than this."