Chapter 26

The cardinal? I blinked, thinking that I had misheard the man, thinking that even if I didn't, I could wake up from whatever dream—no, nightmare—I was stuck in. But the man's uncanny gaze remained fixed on my shoulder where Camila paced frantically, her talons stabbing at my flesh, as if she knew what the man had said.

I glanced at Albert, an incomprehensible expression on his face as he was deep in thought. Unfortunately, the man seeing Albert's lack of words made the decision easier for him.

"A hundred and ten gold," He said like it was simply a dull copper instead of a mountain of glimmering coins that would make even the most warmhearted kill to get a stab at the fortune.

"Well, is there anything else I could offer?" Albet struggled to speak, a fierce battle in his mind between his steadfast conscience and alluring greed that crawled seductively over his body.

He shook his head, a sly smile concealed by an attempt for sympathy. "Nothing I can see catches my eye, unless you have something up your sleeve?"

"Ah, well—"

"A hundred and fifty. Last offer," The man said.

"Don't," I whispered, my heart racing as I studied Albert, who was biting his lip and glancing nervously at Camila. It should be an easy choice, right? I thought, hoping that he wouldn't throw her away like a piece of scrap, albeit for a hefty sum.

It seemed as if his conscience had gotten an edge as he clenched his fists, his face wrinkling like he had just sucked a lemon dry, but he blinked when Matilda spoke up.

"I mean the bird—cardinal, sorry—is cool and all, but that much gold? Such a thing's only been seen in books." She had a wistful look on her face, and I imagined her fantasizing about jumping into a pile of coins like leaves the color of roasted peanuts in fall.

"A hundred and fifty is something," Ken said. "But I'll miss her if you decide to uh, swap her in, to put it lightly."

Miss her? Though she had only been on my side for not even a day, I had grown used to the comforting feeling of her talons wrapped around my shoulder and the gentle whir of gears that hummed with my heartbeat. 

Perhaps my emotions were wrapping themselves around my head, but for the first time since Benjamin I felt that I could confide with her about anything. What she lacked in words was her unwavering attention span and her soothing silence that was a nice break from the hectic world. A curious gaze that caught my attention held a feeling that simply couldn't be put into words. Actions do speak truer than words, I thought and chuckled softly.

But the livened atmosphere did not stick around long in the gloomy surroundings.

Something seemed to be stuck in Albert's throat as he tried to talk, but as greed landed her final kiss on his lips, he blurted out, "Deal. A hundred and fifty gold for the cardinal. But I need to see the money first."

"What? You can't do that!" My hand crept up instinctively to my shoulder as if to protect Camila.

Albert averted his gaze and just shook his head. "I'm sorry, but I have to. I can't just pass up a hundred and fifty gold like that, especially when I don't want to risk another encounter."

All the while, the man stood there listening, the corners of his mouth curling up to almost touch the tips of his ears and revealed a set of ivory white teeth. "I knew you'd come to your senses eventually. And about the money..."

With a swift motion, he dug a handful of gold coins stuffed in a scruffy drawer wearing a coat of dust and threw them onto the stand, a chorus of clinks ringing out.