Act One: Scene One

Hey,

I'd like to start this off by saying that I love you.

Yep, that's right. I love you. I know what you're thinking—I'd probably think it too. There's no way you could love me, Psalm. You don't even know me. But, fortunately that's not true. If you're reading my book you fall into one of three categories that I've spent many nights pondering while lying awake.

You either, one, are a fan of my work as an actor, in which case I dearly, genuinely and wholeheartedly love you for continuously supporting me. Even now as I take a break from acting, I see all of your messages, tweets and letters. I appreciate them more than you could ever believe.

Category two, you may hate me. In which case, I understand, my scenes in my latest movie were a bit cringy, (You can thank the writers for that.) But on a serious note, there was a time that I hated myself too, so it's not unfathomable that others could despise all the parts of me that I once did. Perhaps someone told you that I'd be writing about my childhood abuse in  this book and you scrambled to pick it up from the shelves just to read my misery. If this is you, then unfortunately my love for you ended the second you stuck your card into the machine at Barnes & Nobles. (Kidding, please don't take this out of context, TMZ. I love all people.)

And finally, category three. The people in this group hold the largest share of my heart. You've been through Hell just as I have and made it out far enough to raise your middle finger to it. Listen, if this and you—and you know if it is—then I want you to give yourself a round of applause right now. I'm serious, shut this book, throw it, let your dog chew on it, do whatever you must to get it out of your hands and clap because you are an absolute legend. If nobody else has said this to you, then I will.

I'm proud of you.

So goddamn proud that you breathe the wonderful air of life and I love you. This world isn't easy and we know that all too well but, you're here and for that you've won.

Whether you fall in category one, two, three or otherwise I hope you all gain one thing from my story.

The will to be kind.

I didn't know what kindness was until I met Nolan Wright. The next time you open your mouth to yell think otherwise because I promise, you attract more bee's with honey. Be someone else's Nolan and remember that we're all going through this bat-shit crazy life thing for the first time. Give yourselves and others grace, it's not always easy out here.

This all being said, if you or anyone else you know is going through a hard time please visit my website and click the link at the top of the homepage. My father and I have each pledged to donate ten million dollars to people in need of mental health support. We've set up a network of amazing therapists, psychologists and others who are all passionate about helping turn this world into a beautiful place. That's twenty million dollars worth of resources available to anyone who needs it. All we ask is that you utilize this money to help yourselves. Focus on you because you matter.

Okay, I'll stop blabbering and get into what you all are really here for. I'll warn you now, my story isn't all good. There was a time that I wasn't speeding down pacific coast highway in my Ferrari (My baby) or socking paparazzi in the face. (We can all laugh about that now, it was two years ago and my mugshot was funny. But, really the guy tried to break into my car. He had it coming.)

Nevertheless, To start this off, I need you to imagine Los Angeles California in the year 2017. The palm tree's are bright green and flowing in the salty, ocean scented wind. There's celebrities and influencers roaming the streets, taking selfies and posting to their millions of followers. And ordinary individuals, with their heads buried so deeply into their phones they don't bother to glance up or feel the sunshine kissing their tanning skin.

Behind all of that there'sf a small Italian diner by the name of Piggoli's on a blinking, LED lit sign. The diner is tucked into a small, dilapidated building downtown, just before you reach the bus stop. A man named Sergio Piggoli owns the joint and his star employee was me.

Starry eyed eleven year old, Psalm Romano.