Prologue - P.2

Bold - Japanese Regular - English

Bold - Japanese
Regular - English

It was early hours of Monday morning when the Minatozaki family started the drive to the airport.

Hikaru was passing by the time playing on her 3ds (I know the 3ds & the animal crossing game I'm referencing didn't come out until later on but let's pretend it came out in 2000 for the sake of the story). She just really wanted to take her mind off the reality of the situation.

After half an hour of driving, the family reached the airport where they checked themselves onto the flight.

"Now Hikaru, make sure to treat your host family well. We were lucky to be able to get you one that is half Japanese, that way you don't feel totally out of place," Natsumi said.

"Okasan, what's their names again?"

"The family is the Ishii-Peters, the parent's are Fred and Yuki and they have three kids named Shuji, Sylvia, and Maya. Shuji is a year older than you while Sylvia and Maya are around the same age as you. Sylvia and Maya are fraternal twin sisters which is why they are the same age."

Hikaru listened attentively to her mother's information about the host family.

Well at least they don't sound too bad.

☄. *. ⋆

Eventually, the flight started to take off. Hikaru put on her headphones and fell asleep while listening to her music.

By the time she woke up, the flight was pretty much over. Hikaru opened up the windows to see them landing down.

So this is California. I guess it's not bad, definitely no Tokyo though.

After unloading her luggage, Hikaru stepped foot into the airport.

This is it. This is gonna be where I'm spending the next year of my life.

Hikaru's parents turned towards her with sad smiles on their faces.

"The Ishii-Peters should be around here somewhere. Keep your eye out for a family of five that's holding a 'Welcome to America' sign, okay dear?" Fumihiro said.

"Don't worry otousan, I won't get lost." Hikaru said in a monotone voice. She had a blank face while looking around the airport.

"Oh dear, please try to be a bit more enthusiastic. Once you give it a chance, you'll enjoy your time here." Natsumi scolded.

Hikaru sighed, "I'll try, okasan."

Fumihiro moved his arm around Hikaru and gave her a hug, "You'll be happy here Hikaru. I promise you that." He and Natsumi both went in on Hikaru and gave her the biggest hug they could.