Mentoring Style

I've mentored for the 2023 Wattys and it was an amazing experience which helped me better understand how to break down the elements of a story and come forth with the necessary elements for my mentee.

I believe the main issue is to make sure your story is saying what you want it to say. It's a little piece of you, and we need to make that little piece shine.

I like details, hints, and clues, and I will comb your story for pacing and character arc issues and yell about anything I find does not serve the plot. I love characters, so I want them to shine and drive the story forward.

I also edit for clarity and am fairly critical because I tend to have high standards when it comes to both grammar and the originality and message of your story. I do hope that by the end of the program, you will know what you want to achieve with your story and make it the best (publish-ready) version it can be.

I also love brainstorming, so I would love to develop the concept of a story with someone. I'm also the type of person who doesn't mind spoilers.

How I will approach this:

👉 I will read your story (or the part of it that is available) and/or your outline;

👉 I will present you with a general opinion on what I've read and what I believe can be improved;

👉 We will set your goal and focus on what you want to get out of the mentorship.

What I am available to do:

👉 chat on Discord about everything story-related;

👉 exchange e-mails regarding your concerns;

👉 revert with edits and suggestions on short fragments you might have issues with / your outline.

We can discuss how we're going to work on the story once we get together. However, please keep in mind that I work a full-time job and have a family, so there will be times when life will get in the way of an instant response.

What I will not do:

👉 Edit your manuscript for you;

👉 Figure out the story for you.

Meanwhile, feel free to snoop around my profile, check out my style (which will mainly indicate how I think a story should look) and decide if I'm the right fit for you.

‼ It is very important that your style/aspirations match mine. As any human being, I will tend to give you advice in a direction that will match my standards. My standards are reflected in my work. If those are not your standards as well, and you don't like my writing style, or how I present a story, then I would not be able to help you.

Find a mentor that speaks to you!