ᴘɪɴᴇ-ʜᴇᴀʀᴛꜱ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴇɴ

-Luka, 18-

My head was tipped up to the sky as I leaned my entire body weight back against my seat.

It's the most exhilarating thing in the world to run track, but, as it turns out, so incredibly boring to watch. I didn't mind Olympic events, or even professional races, but when it's just a bunch of sweaty, hungry, tired 18 year olds jogging like they're going for a nice relaxed outing, I felt the need to tear my eyes out just to feel something.

Will seemed to be on the same page as me. He sat to my left, staring with bleary eyes out onto the track, focus honed in on nothing in particular. He'd been completely zoned out since we arrived 20 minutes ago, mid-way through the first race. It didn't help that he had been irritated for the whole drive to get here, constantly glancing in the rear-view mirror to a jittery Killian, who's nervous tic was taking noisy gulps of water every few seconds. I was sure that if it was up to Will, he'd be hidden away in his dorm room, nose in a book, curtains drawn shut. Seriously, if I didn't know any better, I'd assume he was a vampire, not a werewolf. He hadn't even gone on a proper shifted run in over a year.

Most of my races were in the afternoon, except one at 10:00 am, which was why we were at the arena so early.

The seconds were now ticking towards 9:45, and the last few runners crossed the finish line for their one-lap. The 15 minutes given for the one lap was supposed to be 10 minutes for racing, and a 5 minute grace period, but it seemed rules for the speed of competitors were a bit lax today. Mild applause struck up from the spectators dotted around, and the racers went and took their seats to have some water.

I sat up properly, deciding to at least watch a few minutes of this next race before I went and did stretches for my own. Will glanced over at me, with a look that clearly said kill me now.

"After the race at 10, we have like, 6 hours until my next ones." I nudged him, "You could even go back to your dorm and wait. But it'd be cool if you went and got pizza with me. Otherwise I'll be stuck with the Killian kid on my own."

He didn't smile- he barely ever did, anyway- but he looked down at the track in an attempt to watch the next race, which was good enough for me.

Only 2 competitors exited the outbuilding and took their places: a black girl with space buns and a slim build, and a tall red-haired girl who moved like she'd rather be anywhere else. Just as I thought that was it, somebody else came rushing out of the outbuilding, and quickly took her place on the track.

She had beautiful thick brown hair pulled back into a bun, that seemed to glow almost golden where the sun caught it. I didn't have a good view of her face, but from her tall, flawless body I could just tell that she was pretty. She pushed a stray curl back off her face, and bent down with her fingertips grazing the red AstroTurf track. I watched her movements like they held the secrets of the universe, completely and utterly mesmerized. With my breath lodged in my throat, boredom forgotten, and heart pounding like crazy, I found myself leaning closer. I suddenly wished we'd sat closer to the track, rather then in the 8th row up. I needed to get closer. I needed, needed, needed-

A sharp inhale of breath from my left broke me out of my momentary trance. I turned my head, reluctantly, to see Will staring at the exact same girl, his eyes wide, muscles taut. I hadn't seen him so alert and awake for years.

I turned back to stare at the girl.

I knew. I knew. But I told myself she was the mystery girl, the girl we knew nothing about. But I knew as well as I knew I was alive.

The gun blank went off, and she sprung into a run. Her movements were so fine tuned it was like watching some sort of lion hunting, and her speed, it was like that of a lion too. Within seconds, the other two girls were in her dust. She finished the run minutes before they did, and most people in the audience began to clap with enthusiasm. She took a second to catch her breath again, and then, with the most jaw-dropping smile I'd ever seen, she walked towards the stands. Towards us.