Chapter 1 🎨

Prologue: The Woman Who Requested Her Own Imprisonment

~~~~

The woman stared blankly at the ceiling above her, her eyes blinking slowly.

Out of nowhere, Violet S. Everett's memories from her previous life flooded back to her.

To say that these memories came out of the blue would be an understatement. There was a specific incident that triggered her recollection-a near-death experience.

In the midst of a life-threatening crisis, she was granted the opportunity to remember her past life. Now, with a calm mind, she could reflect on her actions. Perhaps, this could be seen as a blessing in disguise.

As Violet gradually regained consciousness, she pondered.

What is true happiness? She longed to experience it, even if it was something distant and seemingly unattainable.

And so, after three days and nights teetering on the edge of life and death, the very moment she woke up, the first thing the ducal princess did was visit her father.

She approached Duke Everett and made a request,

"Please confine me to the annex."

Humans have an inherent desire to seek happiness in their lives. However, true happiness often feels elusive, like a mirage that slips through one's fingers-a lifelong yearning that remains just out of reach.

It is so close, yet so impossibly far...

"What are you even thinking, Violet?"

Lost in her thoughts, Violet was abruptly brought back to reality by a stern voice filled with suppressed anger.

"..."

Violet remained silent, not answering the question. Her purpose for coming here was evident.

Three days and nights had passed since the eldest daughter of the Everett Duchy had nearly drowned in a lake.

Countless people had flocked to visit the ducal princess after her miraculous recovery. Doctors examined her, priests offered prayers for her well-being, and servants attended to her every need. The stream of visitors seemed endless.

But among them, there was one person Violet wished hadn't come-Mikhail, her older brother and the eldest son of the household.

"I asked you-what were you thinking?!"

The voice boomed once again, causing Violet to flinch. She chose not to answer, hoping to avoid any confrontation, but Mikhail persisted.

This was how he treated his younger sister, who had just returned from the brink of death.

Still silent, Violet slowly sat up from the bed. Her body had not fully recovered, and even the slightest movement caused her great strain.

"What do you mean?"

"I heard from Father that you requested to be imprisoned."

"...Sigh."

"What are you planning? Are you using your life as a threat? Is this some kind of public protest?"

"My head..."

"Are you not going to answer?!"

The conversation spiraled into a fruitless exchange, with no sign of resolution.

Why was the eldest son of a ducal household behaving so uncouthly? Regardless of whether Violet expressed her disapproval of his actions, Mikhail remained stubbornly obstinate.

"I don't know what scheme you think I have. I've had a chance to realize my mistakes and reflect on myself," Violet calmly responded.

"...Ha. No matter how you try to cover it up nicely, that kind of talk..."

Mikhail's reply was still filled with anger, dismissing her words as empty. Violet shrugged, unaffected by his rage.

"I'm tired, so could you please leave? With my current state, there's not much I can do."

"..."

"Or are you going to continue yelling and shouting in your younger sister's room in such an uncultured manner?"

"Just you wait. Violet, whatever you're up to, you're not going to have your way."

With that, their not-so-conversation came to an end. Mikhail stormed out of the room, even angrier than when he had entered.

"..."

As soon as Mikhail left, there was an immediate knock on the door. Violet frowned, feeling frustrated that she wasn't given a moment's respite. She gave permission for the person to enter, and two familiar faces stepped in.

"S-Sister."

The person who spoke had fluffy pink hair that swayed with each step. Her tear-stained face looked as if she was on the verge of crying again.

Beside her stood a person with platinum blond hair, wearing a smile on his lips and an unreadable expression on his face.

Violet let out a deep sigh.

"I-I was worried about you. I'm glad that you're safe and sound..."

The young woman expressed her concern for Violet in a sweet, bell-like voice, saying how glad she was to see her safe.

But Violet saw through the facade. The smile seemed fake, and the kindness felt insincere.

Violet composed herself, trying to act as she normally would. She knew that getting agitated would only worsen her already weakened state.

"Why are you lying, Eileen? You have no reason to worry about me."

"S-Sister?"

"I'm not at all happy that you came all this way to say such things... You must be quite absorbed in playing the role of the good sister. But if you've come to me, then you must know that only resentment awaits you."