𝐇𝐨𝐩𝐞

NAILEA STIRRED, her eyelids fluttering open to a room bathed in the gentle hues of dawn. Beside her, Paige lay still, the peaceful rise and fall of her chest a stark contrast to the chaos that churned within Nailea's own mind. She tried to shift her position but a wave of soreness washed over her, making her feel a harsh pain.

The silence of the room was oppressive, a blank canvas for Nailea's overactive thoughts. Her diagnosis loomed over her like a dark cloud, its presence undeniable, its implications terrifying. What if she couldn't play basketball again? What would she do? Who would she be?

As if sensing her turmoil, Paige's eyelids fluttered open, her gaze immediately finding Nailea's. "Morning," Paige murmured, her voice rough with sleep.

"Hey," Nailea replied, attempting to smile, but it didn't quite reach her eyes.

Paige propped herself up on one elbow, studying Nailea's face. "You okay?"

Nailea wanted to spill all her fears, to let them out like birds from a cage. But she nodded instead. "Yeah, just thinking too much."

Paige reached out, brushing a strand of hair from Nailea's forehead. "I'm here for you you know, always."

Their gazes locked, and for a moment, Nailea felt the burden lighten. She watched as Paige's eyes dropped to her lips, and she felt a magnetic pull between them. They leaned in closer, their breaths mingling, but before their lips could touch, the door burst open.

"Nailea!" Her mother's voice cut through the tension like a knife.

Nailea's parents stepped into the room, followed by a bright-eyed little Maddy, who bounced up to the bed with a smile. "We made it, sweetie!"

Nailea's heart was in her throat. She didn't know whether to feel relieved or overwhelmed. "You're here," she breathed out.

Maddy clambered onto the bed to snuggle her older sister but Nailea winced as the child accidentally jostled her sore arms.

"Madeline! Be careful!" her mother scolded sharply, causing Maddy's smile to falter.

Her father frowned. "Don't snap at her. She's just excited."

"Yes but she's injured for Pete sake!" Her mother answered back, rolling her eyes

"She's just a kid she doesn't know that!"

The two adults began to argue, their voices rising in pitch. Paige shot Nailea a helpless look at the girl who just sighed as if it was a daily occurrence.

Nailea quickly covered Maddy's ears, pretending to play a game, Maddy was clueless and she sat on Nailea's stomach messing around. Nailea had put on a smile for the little girl who reciprocated it happily playing with her older sister

Paige however saw the pain etched into Nailea's eyes, the silent plea for peace.

The argument escalated so Nailea discreetly pressed the nurse button, The nurse had arrived and saw the arguing Nailea had a pleading look in her eye and the nurse just nodded begin to usher the quarreling parents out of the room. Nailea's cheeks burned with embarrassment, her heart aching for normalcy.

With the room finally quiet, Maddy settled onto Paige's lap, and Nailea, exhausted by the ordeal and her own illness, drifted back into sleep.

"Paige?" Maddy's whisper barely cut through the silence. "Do you still have a crush on Nai?"

Paige's cheeks flushed a lovely shade of pink as she chuckled. "Yeah. I do, but don't tell her. I'm just waiting for the right time."

"Ok," Maddy whispered back, "just don't wait too long."