Chapter Fifteen: JOSEPH POV

My finger ran along the chain around my neck as Clara put dinner on the table. Her gaze would linger on the new lock every time she passed the door. Miles and I installed a lock on each of the doors. There were only two keys, and each of them was around our necks. Maisie was bright and would be scheming to get her hands on one of the keys once she discovered she was locked in the house. Clara asked for a key, but Maisie was stronger than my wife. She would try to steal the key from Clara while we were outside.

There was no screaming when Miles went to his room. Miles did not usually speak when we were outside, but today he repeatedly asked about Maisie. He was eager to untie her but smart enough to listen to me. Maisie was forced to think and realize how much she needed us. She belonged to this family.

Miles's arm was tight around Maisie's waist as they descended the stairs. She was not pulling away from his hold. Instead, she was leaning into him with her hand on his chest. Her fingers were curled into his shirt. I smirked while swirling the whiskey in my glass. I had been limiting myself to one glass to keep my mind sharp. Being two steps ahead of Maisie was crucial, and I was succeeding.

Maisie's hair was braided. She had on another one of Emily's old dresses, but the bandages were visible around her wrists. Her steps were shaky as she tried to regain her strength. She avoided making eye contact with me when Miles helped her sit at the table.

"You look nice," I told her. "I'm glad you are feeling better."

Maisie did not say anything. Miles put his hand on the top of her head before he ran his fingers down her hair. She did not flinch or pull away.

Clara set the last bowl on the table before sitting next to me. Without prompting, Maisie filled her plate full of food. Since I brought her here, she struggled to eat because she had been so focused on an escape plan. Now, she was comfortable enough to understand we were her family.

Maisie was quiet as she ate. She did not lift her head to look at any of us, and all of her attention was on the food. Miles was watching her throughout dinner. His eyes were focused on her every movement. The corner of his lips pulled into a smile as he watched his wife. I had not seen him this happy in a long time, and my chest warmed to think I had brought Maisie to him.

Clara barely spoke, and most of the dinner was spent listening to the clang of cutlery against plates. When I finished, I leaned back in my seat and drained the remaining whiskey in my glass. I watched as Maisie shoved the last bite of her food into her mouth.

"I'm glad to see you're eating," I said.

Maisie raised her head to look at me. She had been tied to the bed for less than twenty-four hours. Because of her stubbornness, I anticipated she would be restrained to the bed for days. She was no longer screaming and fighting because we were able to clear her thinking. However, there was still the possibility she would run again, so installing the locks was a good idea.

"I missed having Maisie around the house today," Clara said. "I've really enjoyed spending time with her lately. She is such a sweet girl."

Maisie looked back down on her plate. Her movements were quick, but I did not miss the blush spreading across her cheeks. She was used to the men in that disgusting tavern who only wanted to use her for her body. Was she ever complimented? This would be a way to show her how much she was loved.

"What is it specifically that you like?" I asked Clara.

"Maisie is so lovely," she said. "I never thought we would have another girl in this house after Emily, but Maisie has been a beautiful breath of fresh air. She listens to me when I ramble nonsense and has so much patience. I've also loved hearing the stories about her grandmother."