Chapter Twenty-Three: JOSEPH POV

The family became happier as each day passed. Maisie seemed like the missing element that the family always needed. Bringing her into the home was the perfect way to save the family. She was exactly what we needed. She was going to have my grandchild, and the family was going to survive.

Miles had been smart and listened to my advice. He knew nothing about women. He struggled to talk to anyone, especially girls. At first, I saw how awkward he was around Maisie, but he quickly warmed up and grew comfortable. She was perfect because of her kind nature and well placed values. Her screaming and crying were short-lived. She learned better.

The sun was starting to set when I walked into the barn. I froze when I saw Miles sitting on the small bench in the corner. He was leaning forward with his elbows resting on his knees. He did not look up as I walked in. Instead, his attention was focused on his key. The chain dangled between his fingers.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

I walked toward him, but he did not look up. His brows were furrowed as his attention was focused on his key.

"I already finished my chores," he said.

"So you're hiding in the barn?" I asked.

"I am not hiding," he said. "I am thinking."

"About what?"

Miles let out a deep breath. He pushed back his shoulders as he sat straighter, but his gaze did not leave his key.

"I think we should lock the doors again," he said.

"Why?" I asked. "We have not locked them for almost two months. Do you think Maisie is going to run?"

"No." He shook his head. "She still doesn't know the doors have been unlocked and has never asked about it."

I could not hold back my smile. A small part of me was afraid Maisie was still acting. Her good behavior had the potential to be fake. Despite being pregnant, she could be waiting to try to outsmart us. I told Miles to keep the door unlocked but to continue wearing the key. It was my way to test Maisie's loyalty. Even Clara watched her to see if she tried to open the door during the day.

"Why do you want to lock it again?" I asked. "You know she doesn't want to get out."

"I don't want anyone to get in," he said.

I paused, waiting for Miles to elaborate. He was silent, so I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair.

"Who is going to get in?" I asked.

"Anyone," he said. "The door is open. Any person can walk in and hurt her again."

Miles had been tense since those two men tried to rob us. Two months ago, the fear that a similar event would happen again was his biggest argument against unlocking doors. He was terrified of seeing another man on top of Maisie like that again.

"Those men only came inside because we invited them into our home," I said.

"You invited them," he clarified. "I never wanted them inside."

"I thought I was doing something good," I said. "Their family needed help, but we learned to only focus on this family."

"So let's focus on the family," he said. "Keep everyone else out."

"You actually want to lock the door again?"

Miles finally looked away from the key. His brows remained furrowed as he stared at me like I was foolish. I curled my fingers into my biceps as I stepped closer.

"Do not treat me like I am dumb," I said. "I am in charge of this family. I am keeping the house safe."

"So keep the house safe," he said. "Protect Maisie and my child. Protect Mom. Lock the door."

"You want to keep them locked inside the house all day forever?"

"Yes." He nodded. "We need to keep them safe. We should have always been locking the door. This test was pointless. It was not worth the risk. Maisie never even attempted to open the door. She never wanted to leave."

Miles looked back down at the key. He turned it in his hand like he was inspecting all the ridges' details and grooves.

"What if Maisie or the baby get hurt?" he asked. "What if I can't keep them safe? What if one of them dies?"

Before Maisie, Miles never expressed his worries. He never seemed bothered by anything, but he also never spoke. His face was always an unreadable slate, so I never knew what was on his mind. Seeing my son tense and concerned was something foreign.

"I had similar fears when your Mother was pregnant with you," I said. Miles looked up from the key at me. "I had never been that scared before, especially near the end of the pregnancy. In the last months, your Mother looked so fragile. It was terrifying because if something terrible happened to her, then it would have also happened to you. I would have lost the two most important people to me. Suddenly, my life had so much responsibility, and it was terrifying."

Miles nodded as I spoke. He curled his fingers tightly around the key. The chain dangled out from his grip.

"We need to lock the door," he said.

Locking the door would relieve his brief moment of heightened anxiety. I remember losing sleep when Clara was pregnant with Miles. The first baby was the scariest, but the fears disappeared after holding my baby in my arms. His over-exaggerated worries would be gone when he holds his child. He demanded that the door be locked now, but he will abandon this paranoia in a couple of months.

"Then lock the door," I said. "Do what you think is necessary."

"I can?" he asked, raising a brow.

"Yes," I said. "You're going to be the head of the family one day. You must be confident that you're caring for your family."

Miles let out a deep breath as he stood. His fingers remained curled around the key, but he stared at his closed fist. I watched him as he did not move. Did he already have second thoughts on his decision? I hated that I could never tell what was happening in his mind.

"Do you trust Maisie?" I asked.

"I do," he said. "I love her."

I stretched my sore shoulders as I watched him. He kept staring at his fist, but the corner of his lips tugged into a smile.

"I think we are finished for the day," I said. "It's early, but we can head inside. You can lock the door, and it will fix your worries."

Miles nodded as he left the barn. I smiled as I followed beside him. Pride filled my body as I watched my son. Maisie helped him put his values in the correct place. He was proactively taking care of the family. He was keeping them all safe.

I heard the shouting at first. A male voice was yelling, but I could not understand the words. It was soon followed by high-pitched screams that turned into shrieks. Miles started running toward the house. I followed, but I could not keep up with the wide strides of his sprint.

The back door was slightly open when Miles ran up the porch. The screaming continued as he burst into the house.

Seconds ago, everything was perfect.

Now, it sounded like devastating chaos was happening in our home.