Chapter 2 - Vampires

When someone asks me how Eric and I met, it's not a romantic story that becomes a movie. You know what stories I mean.

A girl meets a boy, they fall in love overnight, become inseparable, only to break up and get back together at the end of the movie forever. The end.

Well, that wasn't our story.

If I have to be honest, the first time I saw him, I hated him.

He really struck me as a cocky spoiled snob.

Of course I never told him that, he just thought I was playing hard to get.

But I wasn't.

I was working in my university library, as part of what I was required to do to keep my scholarship.

One day, a blonde girl with blue eyes and the kind of attitude that makes others feel inferior in a second walked in front of my desk, with a stack of books, not even pretending to give me a card so I could credit her for taking them all.

'Excuse me,' I said, 'where do you think you're going with that?'

She decided to ignore me, so she left me no choice but to run towards her, rather in front of her.

'What's the matter with you? Get out of my way shorty,' she replied and I knew it would only get worse after that if she had already picked on my height.

'I don't know if you didn't hear me or what, but this is a library. You have to mark which books you are taking on your card. So, give it to me and you can go.'

'I didn't bring it, maybe next time.'

She tried to move on but I got in her way.

'Listen to me pathetic little scum, get out of my way or I'll make you lose your pathetic little job.'

'Do what you want, but you're not coming out with those books as long as I can stand here,' I folded my arms, I had grown up in a tough neighborhood with an older sister who drove me crazy, nothing intimidated me.

'Nat, what's wrong?'

His voice startled me behind the blonde who now had the name Nat, and when I saw him, I thought I had never seen a man as beautiful as him.

It wasn't just how he looked, it was something else, something I couldn't describe, his aura, the energy he exuded.

'Tell this person to get out of my way, right now.'

He walked over and if I thought the girl was tall, well he was much taller.

He looked me up and down and suddenly he didn't seem as gorgeous as before. Much later he admitted that he thought I was beautiful too or something, but I don't know, at that instant, I didn't like him and I didn't want to see him ever again.

'What's the problem library girl?' He asked as if he was teasing me.

'What's my problem? Really? She's the problem, she doesn't have her card, she can't check out the books. If it's so hard to understand, maybe I should bring a sign for you to read. Or do you think that will be a problem too?'

The boy looked at me in surprise, as if he couldn't believe I had answered him and his maybe girlfriend like that.

'Now you will definitely lose your job, his father is...' Nat began.

'You know what? Put the books back, Nat. Rules are rules.'

I didn't uncross my arms, I kept my gaze fixed on the light blue eyes of the boy who now seemed to be on my side. But I wouldn't let my guard down, I would stand my ground.