Chapter 8 - A familiar stranger

His eyes are so distinctive, crystal clear, but almond-colored, somewhere between brown and green. His face is full of freckles. His hair appeared to be red, but there's none of it left, it's completely shaved off, just like Dash's. He's tall and strong, someone who looks like he's trained, someone I know could knock anyone out and beat them easily.

 He's tall and strong, someone who looks like he's trained, someone I know could knock anyone out and beat them easily

'Isabelle, you're alive. It's me. I knew you weren't dead,' he takes me by the arms.

Yes, he knows me, but I don't know him.

Dead? Was Isabella almost dead?

I have so many questions about this stranger.

Yet why does he seem so familiar to me?

'Don't you know who I am?' He asks me so painfully that I don't know what to answer.

'We must go, now,' I say quickly and take Dash's hand tightly. 'If you want to come with us, follow me.'

The guy follows us just as I tell him, closing the door behind him. 

The route is different, this time I don't mind running.

The carriage is waiting for us, and Nero looks as confused as I am when he sees that I'm bringing someone else than we expected.

'Who is...?'

'Dash said he wouldn't come without him, and he seems to know me, so...'

'Okay, both of you get in, quick.'

Nero opens the carriage door and I stand in front of them, blocking some of the people running in training mode from being able to see us.

The carriage seems to struggle with the weight of the redhead who looks like a war soldier, with his heavy boots and leather jacket.

I take my place next to Nero and just hope that no one catches us.

Nero urges the horses to get us out of there as fast as possible.

But we don't get that far before someone stops us.

A man asks us to stop.

He's thin and his skin is shiny, his eyes are red and I know, I just know...

I'm looking at a vampire.

He looks so normal, even with his red eyes, that it freaks me out even more.

Vampires look normal.

'Is something wrong?' Nero asks him, not showing even a hint of fear. I'm getting more and more amazed by this kid.

'It's protocol to check the carriages before they leave. One boy tried to get a friend out of his responsibility, we won't allow it twice. Didn't you know that?'

Nero looks at me and I know we are in trouble, but what can we do?

'Of course, my bad,' he replies with the same calmness he seemed to have up to that moment. He gets down from his seat in front of the horses and goes to the door. If he opens it, if he shows him, he will see two prisoners about to be released, two prisoners he can sure smell, one of them with magic, but...