Chapter 8

Kazzi has never attended a single UConn basketball game.

It's quite a feat, given almost everyone has attended at least once. It also doesn't help that Kazzi is a raging basketball fan (Paige fan) deep inside, so all the talk after a particularly exciting game makes her desperate to attend one. Watching from a screen just isn't enough, and practice games aren't usually streamed on professional platforms, meaning Kazzi has to resort to low quality instagram lives to get by. It was torture.

Her breaking point was Paige shooting a buzzer-beater, but the shitty live-streamer put the camera down at the last minute and all Kazzi could see was a blue-black screen accompanied with raucous cheers that made her want to join in. Alas, she didn't see it happen and was only able to decipher the events from conversations held after the game. If that wasn't enough, the stream stopped at half-time, and never restarted. Kazzi missed half the game.

And so, in a rare display of courage, Kazzi put her foot down and bought tickets to the next game. She made sure her seats were far back, far enough to still see the court while being out of view from UConn's players. She thinks she'll just keel over and die if Paige spots her at the venue, she'll probably say some cocky shit like 'oh, came to support me?', and Kazzi won't have anything to say back because she did.

Anywho, Kazzi was fully prepared for this adventure. She had a mask and a cap, the peak of anonymity. Her navy hoodie hid her silhouette, blending in with the blues of the crowd. She briefly considered sunglasses, before deciding it was overkill to wear sunglasses to an indoor basketball game. She was going for mysteriously unknown, not insane.

Arriving at the court had Kazzi buzzing with excitement, the enthusiastic atmosphere made her grin ear to ear under her mask. Being at the court was infinitely better than squinting at her phone from the couch. Her mood wasn't dampened in the slightest when a rowdy kid splashed some coke on her, Kazzi was on cloud nine.

Her seat was perfect, she had a full view of the court, and there was no chance the players could see her amongst the crowd of fans. She wondered why she hasn't done this sooner, regretting all the games she would have attended if she just grew some balls.

mrs.bueckers @ktalks.azz

MY FIRST UCONN GAMEEEE!! GO HUSKIES!!!

Maybe posting that wasn't a great idea, but she really couldn't resist.

bucketbueckers @paigesolosyou

@ktalks.azz OMG U COULD MEET PAIGE AAAA WHAT

     mrs.bueckers @ktalks.azz

         @paigesolosyou u mean paige 

             could meet ME

pagebucketswifey @paigeswife01

@ktalks.azz WAIT UR HERE TOO?? WHERE

   mrs.bueckers @ktalks.azz

  @paigesolosyou PRETTY FAR BACK

        pagebucketswifey @paigeswife01

            @ktalks.azz OH IM NEAR 

               THE FRONT :((

Paige Bueckers liked your tweet!

Paige Bueckers sent you a message!

Kazzi almost choked on air, doing a double-take. With wide eyes, she lifted her head to look around, as if Paige was about to jump out of nowhere and scream 'surprise!'. Hands shaking, Kazzi tapped on the message, the screen pulling up a chat where Paige texted her first.

(12:17): u at the game rn?

Kazzi frowned. Shouldn't Paige be getting ready? Warming up? Doing literally anything other than stalk her twitter page? Kazzi felt like she was about to throw up (from disgust, not butterflies, obviously), and she trembled as she typed out a reply.

(12:18): shouldn't you be getting ready????

(12:18): debrief

(12:18): OMG PAIGE PAY ATTENTION

(12:18): dw i alr know whats going on

(12:18): STILL

(12:19): damn js say u dont wanna talk to me

(12:19): no i just dont want my fav embarrassing herself on the court 🙄 🙄

(12:19): im ur fav?

(12:19): no paige ofc not

(12:19): i just have a fanpage dedicated to u for shits and giggles

(12:20): oh right u do

(12:20): anyway i can get u seats closer to the front

(12:20): if u want

Kazzi paused, eyes wide. Was that even allowed? A part of Kazzi clawed at her to go, but the rational part knew that if she accepted the offer, her identity would have a higher risk of being revealed and that would take fifty years from Kazzi's life span. She mentally berated her past-self for antagonizing Paige, not for the first time, and definitely not for the last.

mrs.bueckers @ktalks.azz

IM HAVING A FUCKIGN STROKE

(12:22): did u srsly post a tweet and ignore me

(12:22): THE TWEET IS ABOUT YOU

(12:22): how is that ignoring you???

(12:23): is that a yes or a no?

Kazzi needed a good excuse. Fast.

(12:23): i would

(12:23): but im with my friends rn and i dont wanna ditch them

(12:23): thats chill

Kazzi let out a breath she didn't know she was holding.

(12:23): bro go pay attention

(12:23): you gotta lock in

(12:24): i am locked in

(12:24): and did u just call me bro?

(12:24): yeah???

(12:24): bros dont write thirst tweets abt their bros but okay

(12:24): PAIGE OMFG

(12:24): alr alr i gtg

(12:25): games in five

(12:25): GOOD LUCK

(12:25): thanks

Kazzi clicked her phone shut, eyes drifting towards the court where the players started filing out. Cheers erupted from the stands, and for the first time, Kazzi could join them in screaming her throat raw. Her eyes latched onto Number 5 immediately, and allowed herself to truly admire Paige on the court, feeling like a true fan. 

For the entire duration of the game, her eyes didn't stray from the blonde player once.

mrs.bueckers @ktalks.azz

best day of my life.