Chapter 13

Kazzi lounged on the couch, staring into oblivion. She wasn't thinking of anything in particular, which was strange since Kazzi was always thinking about something. Her vibe felt off – unsettled – and the reason seemed to burst through the door the very next second. The slam had Kazzi jerking up from the couch, eyes wide as she took in Lili's quaking figure. In a split second, Kazzi had bounded off the couch towards Lili, who — upon closer inspection — had tears streaming down her face.

Kazzi wasted no time in embracing the other, soft words of comfort flowing from her lips like water as she coaxed Lili onto the couch. Lili sobbed, burying her face into the crook of Kazzi's neck, simultaneously breaking Kazzi's heart in half. The former had left in the morning, saying something about having breakfast with the guy she's been in a "situationship" with for months. Kazzi had no idea how she ended up in this state.

"He–" Lili's voice cracked, her voice unsteady as she forced out, "He has a girlfriend–" Another sob wrecked her frame, "He has a girlfriend and he still flirted with me for months!"

White, hot anger flooded Kazzi, and she had to grip the couch to restrain herself from marching to the guy's house and murdering him in cold blood. Kazzi wrapped her arms around Lili tighter, hoping her presence was enough to ground the other.

"I'm so sorry," Kazzi murmured, rendered speechless, "He's an asshole, you deserve so much better."

"But— I—" Lili choked, Kazzi rushing to pat her on the back. She didn't know what to do, how to comfort, Kazzi just hopes she's doing enough. "I wanted him, I was just waiting for the right time...I thought he needed time—"

Lili was obviously spiraling, and Kazzi could do nothing but whisper sweet-nothings into her ear as she fell apart. Kazzi knew Lili had feelings for the dude, I mean, why else would she wait months despite the clear attraction between the two? Kazzi should've known, should have spotted the red flag before her best friend was returned to her like this. Kazzi felt like crying herself, but held it in and tried to be the support her friend needed.

"He's a dick," Kazzi said, taking in Lili's swollen eyes, "Don't waste your energy on him. He's already wasted your time, and if I had any say in this, I would be setting his house on fire right now."

Lili let out a wet giggle, and Kazzi smiled. They laid there for a while, Lili occasionally sniffling with Kazzi carding her fingers through the other's hair. Kazzi lost sense of time, showering the other with as much love as possible from her position on the couch. She was only pulled back into the present by a soft voice.

"Thanks, Kaz. I needed that."

Kazzi grinned, ruffling Lili's hair and causing the other to pout, "No worries, Li. I would do anything for you."

A grateful smile overtook the other's expression, and Kazzi shifted, prepared to go and grab Lili a cup of water when her phone buzzed. She quickly reached over and grabbed her device, eyes widening as she read the notification.

Nika<33

(12:34) Heyy r u free this afternoon??

Kazzi gnawed her lip, taking in Lili's depressed state. She opened the chat, halfway through a message rejecting whatever proposal Nika has when another text is sent through.

(12:34) Iowa is coming for a practise match and it's not public

(12:34) We still wanted to invite u tho !! Do u wanna come watch??

Kazzi's heart jumped at the thought, stomach turning in anticipation. This was the game to watch, and it's not public! This was an opportunity to see Paige and Caitlin on the same court without Kazzi fighting tooth and nail for a ticket. Kazzi glanced at Lili again, heart heavy. She would hate to leave her best friend here like this. Lili noticed Kazzi's constipated expression, and questioned, "What is it?"

"It's nothing." Kazzi muttered, decision made. What type of best friend would she be if she left Lili to satiate her thirst over blonde basketball girls?

But as always, Lili knew her too well. "C'mon Kaz, what is it?"

"Well," Kazzi started, locking eyes with Lili, "Nika texted me. She invited me to watch a private basketball game between them and Iowa."

Lili's eyebrows shot up, her surprised expression turning into an excited one as she smiled, "Well you have to go! Isn't that like the best game? And it's private!"

"Wait no, I can't leave you like this," Kazzi frowned, sitting back on the couch. She refused to ditch Lili when the other needed her most.

Lili gave her a flat look, "It's okay. I promise, you have to go see this."

"No, we can stay in today and binge movies while we stuff ourselves with ice cream—"

Lili grabbed both her shoulders, making Kazzi squawk as the former shook her back and forth, "I know you want to see this, and I'm not letting you hold yourself back because some stupid boy played me."

Lili then stood, flashing Kazzi a peace sign as she said, "Get up. I'll come with you."

Kazzi scrambled to her feet, mouth open in shock as she echoed in disbelief, "You're gonna go to the game with me?"

Lili hummed, nodding her head, "I quite like basketball, why not? You can stay with me and see Paige Bueckers— I mean, watch an exciting basketball game."

Kazzi lightly jostled Lili, the other chuckling. Kazzi was glad she seemed normal again, but she definitely knew better than to think Lili wasn't hurting. She was probably hiding it, and the thought made Kazzi ache.

She opened her chat with Nika and shot off a quick text.

(12:37) can i bring a friend?

Not a second later, she got a reply.

(12:37) ofc !! tell them there's a no filming policy tho

(12:38) got it, we'll be there soon!!

Kazzi lifted her head, confirming with Lili that her presence was welcomed. Lili grinned and Kazzi couldn't help but feel a wave of fondness rush over her.

"You're the best, Li."

"I know."