Chapter 7- Guilty Eyes

Skylor observed the agent positioned out of her cell. She thought that this might be a new one to the Anomaly department, but it was hard to tell with the masks they all wore. She stared in hatred at the masked guard, hoping her glare would inspire some sort of response. She was tired of feeling powerless, helpless against her tormentors. Though it was hard to be sure, she thought that she had been there for at least three months. She had long ago stopped trying to keep count, it only disheartened her more. In those three months, she had seen horrors she wished she could permanently erase from her mind. This twisted organization thought "Anomalies" as they were called, were crimes against the natural order of the universe. Anyone who didn't fit their stupid rules and regulations were sent here, and tortured until they either lost their minds or worse. Skylor tried hard not to think about how many lifeless bodies had been carried out of those glass cells. She was trying hard to fight against the hopelessness, memories of her friends and Kai keeping the darkness at bay. But she knew she couldn't keep this up. One day they would break her, just like all the others that had been broken. The officer she was currently glaring at had a different emotion in his eyes than most of the agents who tortured her. She studied him, trying to figure out what he was feeling just by his eyes. He looked pained, pitying, almost guilty. Maybe she was going crazy after all. There was no way someone who was capable of torturing other people could feel any morsel of guilt. But his eyes. She knew those eyes from somewhere. They were so familiar that she wanted to scream at herself for not remembering.
      "Agent!" a female agent barked at the one with the guilty eyes. "Start the purification machine." She stalked off, going to bark at some other agent no doubt. The agent with the familiar eyes looked at Skylor again. There was definitely guilt in his eyes. He hesitated, seemingly unable to press the button.
     "I'm so sorry," he whispered, barely audible through the glass. His voice sounded garbled through the mask.
     "Don't be sorry," Skylor laughed bitterly. "Do something about. This is wrong and you know it." He looked ready to cry.
    "I can't do anything," he whispered sadly. Skylor walked up to the edge of the cage and spat.
    "Then you're as bad as all the others." The agent sagged, as if her words really hit home.
     "I know," he said softly. The female agent was starting to return, and he quickly hit the button. Skylor screamed in pain, and he winced, trying to cover it up as a snarl as the woman joined his side, watching Skylor in morbid fascination.
     "This one is strong," she told the other agent. "She has lasted much longer than most. Almost six months." Even through the pain Skylor registered this piece of information. She had been here much longer than she thought. As the female agent pressed another button, the pain increased, drowning out any semblance of logical thought. All her nerves were on fire, and all she knew was pain. The last thing she saw was the agent with the guilty eyes trying to hide the horrified expression on his face. Then the world was dark.