Chapter 19: In His Arms

"THEY'RE ALL USELESS!"

Hera, the queen of the gods, was in a state of agitation. She had just received upsetting news from her subjects and was growing increasingly anxious. She leaned weakly on her golden throne, her feet and arms were bound by chains.

Her fury was palpable, but she was powerless to act on it.

Artemis, the goddess of the hunt, and Ares, the god of war, looked at her with concern.

Hera could only clench her fists and trembled with anger.

"Calm down, Hera," Artemis attempted to soothe her but was interrupted by the furious queen.

"How can I calm down after hearing that Asche married that man?" Hera shouted and fury. "And not only that, but Hephaestus impregnated her! And now Hades has taken her to the Underworld?!"

"I told you this was inevitable," sighed Artemis, trying to remain calm in the face of Hera's anger. "But I understand how frustrated you must feel."

In the realm of Gods, only hours had passed since Asche was taken by Hephaestus. But in the world of the mortals, it had already been a month.

Artemis was also anxious but tried to remain calm.

"I just want her back," Hera said with a sigh. "Is there any way we can retrieve her from the Underworld? What can we offer Hades in exchange for Asche's soul?"

Artemis sighed and shook her head.

"There's no need for that. Demeter and Persephone went to the Underworld, and I was informed that Hades has already returned Asche's soul to her body," Artemis said, casting a glance at Hera. "Perhaps Demeter tried to help Asche, after all, that Nymph was born out of her breath..."

And although Demeter didn't take action to save Asche's soul, Hephaestus would still do something to return her to the mortal realm.

He might even challenge the Underworld for her.

Hera fell silent at this news. She was relieved to hear that the Forest Nymph had returned to the mortal realm but she was also frustrated that she had been unable to do anything to help Asche when she faced these trials.

It was all Hephaestus's fault, she thought bitterly. If he hadn't chained her to this throne, and taken Asche from her, she would never have been this agitated. Hera clenched her fists and looked down at the golden chains that bound her.

But she couldn't deny that she was at fault too.

"Artemis, I don't think I can wait any longer," Hera said finally. "No one has been able to bring Asche back to me. It's time for you to take action. Find Asche for me."

Artemis hesitated for a moment, then nodded.

"I know her whereabouts," she said cryptically, before taking up her bow and arrows. A mysterious smile played across her lips.

"Perhaps it's the right time to bring her back," Artemis glanced on earth through a well. "Now that Hephaestus isn't there to stop me, I can take her home."

Artemis knew that Hephaestus was still in the Underworld, and he wouldn't be able to stop Artemis if she was going to take Asche back.

"Then go and bring back the Nymph to us..." Hera mumbled while staring at the Moon Goddess.

Artemis nodded her head.

"I will," Artemis replied with quiet confidence.

Hera remained silent as Artemis left Olympus.