Aqtlua

"What do you plan to do?" Gjaki asked him.

"He tried to kill me. Without knowing me. Not caring if it was right or wrong. If only they had deceived him, I'd understand, but not even that. I don't like him," Eldi said. "But his purpose is noble. Even if I don't like him, I can't abandon his people."

"I knew you would say something like that," her friend smiled. "How do you feel?"

The vampiress was worried about him. She hadn't been there when he had arrived, and she hadn't spoken to him until now, but she knew what had happened. Gjkai herself had felt indignant. Not letting him meet Melia wasn't fair to Eldi.

It should be said that she was also worried about the dryad's attitude. The vampiress didn't know what the dryad felt, what she thought, if she would break her companion's heart. Though, at least, they should have the opportunity.

"Frustrated and angry. I don't even know what they want me to do. I don't know anything about her either," he admitted bitterly. "But no matter how much I think about it, there's nothing I can do. Let's go see him, let's at least finish this."

Therefore, she followed Gjaki to the room Golgo was confined in. Nonetheless, he didn't expect to find him so downcast, not even Gjaki, who had spoken to him the day before. They didn't know that he had been up all night, cursing himself.

"I don't like you, I despise you, but it's not your people's fault. I'll see what I can find in the Big Brotherhood. If I get it, I'll send it to you," Eldi declared as soon as he arrived.

Immediately, he turned to leave. He had nothing to talk to whom had wanted to kill him.

"I... Thank you... I'm really sorry. I should never have tried to kill you. I should never have lost my humanity," he apologized, crestfallen.

"If it's true, you'll have to prove it with facts. Words aren't enough" the high human left the room, without looking at him.

"I'll do. I promise," Golgo assured, without getting a response. Eldi had already left.

Gjaki sighed. She understood the attitude of her companion. It wasn't easy to forgive or trust the person who had wanted to kill you. In fact, she wasn't quite sure if their prisoner was sincere, and she hadn't forgiven him either. The vampiress had doubts if she could trust him, but at least the Aqtlua fragment was real, she could feel it.

Furthermore, she had made inquiries in Engenak, and had even stopped by Goltrak's library. Well, actually, Gjaki had sent some of the inhabitants of the mansion the day before, since she wasn't very fond of searching through books. At her request, with the high human involved, and having to do it that afternoon if possible, they had diligently investigated.

The conclusion had been that the story about the Aqtlua could very well be real.

Therefore, the companions had reached an agreement. No matter how much they didn't trust him, his mission was important, much more than their distrust. So, with a snap of her fingers, she broke the seal that imprisoned him.

The vampiress didn't doubt that she could control him if he turned against her, especially in her mansion and at short distance. Plus, Eldi wasn't far away.

He looked at her surprised, although he didn't have time to thank her. A small object had been thrown towards him, and he couldn't let it fall to the ground. It was too valuable, enough to risk his life for it if necessary.

He caught it, then opened his hands and looked at it almost with tears in his eyes. He didn't quite believe that despite everything, it was in his hands. Golgo then took out a kind of circular medallion, in which four fragments of similar shapes were distributed around the center. It was the Aqtlua, or what was left.

The fragments were separated, and were forming part of a circle that had much left to fill. When the visitor brought the fragment closer to the Aqtlua, it shone slightly, thus enveloping the fragment, attracting it.

Curiously, it was drawn together with one of the other four fragments. Then, they both shone more intensely, by producing a strange resonance. It was undoubtedly an ancient magic that still retained enormous power.

When the glow subsided, both fragments had merged, as if they had always been one. It didn't seem like they had ever been apart.

The engraved lines were continuous between both fragments. All signs of wear had disappeared from the side that now joined them, no doubt by magic. Not a single crack could be seen in the center of the double fragment, although they abounded near the edges.

The vampiress watched the process in amazement. He swallowed with devotion, with adoration. He had recovered a little hope, and his face had lightened up for a few moments.

"I don't know how to thank you," he knelt.

"No need, we're not doing it for you. I don't like you either, nor can I trust you. Leave. We'll contact you if we find out anything," she dismissed him.

He nodded, despite feeling hurt in his pride, in his soul. Nonetheless, he couldn't blame her. After all, he had tried to kill her friend.

"I know I deserve your disdain, but despite it, I am in your debt. Anything you may need from me, I'll be willing to carry out. Although, this time, I won't give up what I have left of my humanity," he said farewell, with all the solemnity that he was able to muster.

He summoned a Gate and disappeared into it, but not before making a deep bow.

"I want to believe he's sincere," the vampiress said out loud.

"Me too. Even though he wanted to kill me, it's hard for me to hate him. He was cruel, ruthless, but deep down, he does it for others. His cause is noble, although that doesn't justify his actions. I really hope he doesn't act like that again," Eldi acknowledged. He was on the other side of the door.

"You're a softie," she laughed.

"It takes one to know one..." he replied.

She smiled. Although she knew that her partner was really depressed, at least he was still the same as always.

"What do you plan to do now?" she asked him.

"I don't have much to do. So I guess I'll go see my friends from underground. I promised to visit them, and I'll be able to find out if we can go to their old capital," he decided.

"I want to go! Wait! I'm going to call Goldmi!"

"Seriously... I'm not going to go sightseeing," he criticized her.

"Don't be a party pooper!" she reproached him, amused, while sticking out her tongue a little.

"Do what you want..." Eldi gave up. It was a lost battle.