Siblings reunited

After Tica's trip to the mansion, some more were encouraged to try it. Not everyone needed the same time to dare to look out the window, but everyone was impressed by a world without a roof, with sun, clouds or stars. For some, it even terrified them.

However, with the invaluable help of Tica herself, they did manage to establish friendly contact with the inhabitants of the mansion, despite the initial nervousness. They may be ugly, but they were kind.

Without a doubt, it was the contact with the vampire dwarfs what impacted them the most. There were legends of an ancient collaboration between their races, which the dwarfs were more than willing to revive. However, that was an initial contact. Those who had to make the decision weren't on the expedition or in the mansion. Furthermore, there were no roads leading to dwarven territory either.

Although perhaps, they could be restored if the Great Brotherhood returned to the hands of its rightful owners. The old capital had been the link between all the mole-towns, and the vast majority of tunnels that came into contact with the beings on the surface.

Currently, one of its old entrances, demolished not long ago, was being inspected by a somewhat special group.

"We'll need months, perhaps years. The collapse was perfect, it's completely blocked," the mole-woman declared.

She was the village's greatest expert when it came to tunneling, the best builder. Each of the rocks that had blocked the entrance to the city, the nexus, weighed several tons. The toads that had tried to chase them through the place a few months ago had had no chance of surviving.

"It seems there's no other choice but to ask for help. Let's go see the elders," Eldi suggested.

The mole-woman nodded, and followed the friend of her people. She entered for the third time in her life into a Gate that was still somewhat intimidating. The first two had been the trip to and from Gjaki's mansion a couple of days ago.

"So, it's impossible to reopen the nexus?" the old man wanted to confirm.

"Not impossible, but it'll take us a lot of time and effort. Despite the years, the seal worked perfectly. It's completely blocked," the mole-woman who had examined it assured.

"What about the other nexuses...?" the old man wanted to insist, but was interrupted.

"Stop it, old geezer, we've already discussed it before. I think it is a good opportunity. Let's contact them. They were our friends, and it's been too long," the old woman disdained her brother.

"Old hag... What happens is that you have always liked stories from the past," the first criticized.

"Stop fighting... again..." another old man-mole sighed. "I agree that it's a good opportunity, plus we don't lose anything. If we can secure the tunnels toward them, we could reestablish contact."

"I also support it. Besides, Eldi says they're trustworthy, right?" another old woman supported him.

"Not all surface inhabitants are trustworthy, but the dwarfs certainly are," the high human assured.

"That coincides with all our chronicles, as we have already established thousands of times. How many more times are we going to discuss it? Let's stop wasting time and vote," another old man impatiently proposed.

"I vote in favor."

"In favor."

"In favor."

In the end, the vote was unanimous. Even those who had objected didn't hesitate for a moment to support the motion. It irritated the person who had proposed the vote.

"If you were going to say yes, why argue so much!? One would think that all you want is to fight!" he complained.

In fact, he wasn't that far from the truth. Some of them enjoyed arguing, among them a couple of elderly siblings. He also enjoyed complaining, or so the others thought.

When the alarm was triggered, it surprised the dwarfs much less than days before. Back then, they hadn't expected to meet their human friend so soon, nor for him to bring such precious gifts. The beer quality was really high.

"Eldi! You're so damn early! Oh! A mole-woman friend!?"

The dwarf had first greeted happily, but she had been surprised to discover the mole-woman. Incredibly, at least to Eldi, she had been able to tell that she was a woman, despite never having seen any of her race before. It had taken Eldi weeks to differentiate them by sex.

Perhaps, what surprised the high human the most was the dwarf's solemn bow towards the old mole-woman and the builder. The latter was extremely nervous

"In the name of the ancient friendship between our peoples, I, Trelka, welcome you in the name of Khaladok. We were eagerly awaiting your visit, with the hope that the old ties would become new again, that our people would become siblings again," the dwarf received them.

Visibly moved, the old mole-woman took a step forward and imitated the dwarf's bow.

"In the name of the ancient friendship between our peoples, I, Tenra, feel honored to visit Khaladok. As a representative of Jordavmol, I express our desire to reforge ancient ties with our dwarven siblings, and ask for your assistance in recovering our ancient lands," she responded, with equal solemnity.

"Our people will answer the call. It is a true honor that I never imagined I would witness. Thank you, Eldi," another voice broke in, excited but solemn.

Eldi had never seen the newly arrived old dwarf, the Great Wise, like this. Although they had told him that this was very important to them, he now realized to what extent it was. For the dwarfs, it was like recovering a sibling they thought dead, a loved one they had thought they would never see again.

Days ago, Eldi had brought them news of the mole-people for the first time in centuries, the sibling race lost in time and depths. Now, they had two of them there.

However, there was someone else too, someone the dwarfs didn't know. She was of a race that wasn't their enemy, although with whom they often had conflicts. The Great Sage looked at her curiously.

"This's Goldmi, my friend and also a visitor. She's the one who brewed the beer that I brought the other day," Eldi introduced her.

Unexpectedly, Trelka, who had been eyeing her suspiciously, knelt down.

"Great brewmaster! Accept my most sincere devotion! Any...!"

"Paf!"

"Ough!"

"Please, follow me. Let me offer you the hospitality of my people. Ignore that idiot," the Great Sage offered, after giving Trelka a forceful blow with her staff.

There was a lot to talk about, to prepare, to discuss. She knew that their contact with their former siblings would be limited for now. It was only possible with the help of Eldi, and perhaps the elf.

Furthermore, there was also a lot to negotiate with that elf, although that would be left to others. It isn't that she wouldn't savor the beer, but it wasn't her job to enter into those negotiations. Although, they had better do it right. She still remembered the taste of the other day.