Lekha

In the kingdom of Awadh, the white walls were adorned with cascading garlands of bright marigolds, weaving a tapestry of colors against their pristine backdrop. Every corner of the palace was aglow with the soft flicker of countless lamps, casting a warm and inviting ambiance throughout the grand halls. The air was filled with the sweet melodies of musicians, their tunes echoing through the corridors and adding to the festive atmosphere. Servants bustled about, ensuring that every detail was perfect for the upcoming celebration, the first royal marriage in two decades. The people of Awadh rejoiced, their hearts filled with anticipation and excitement as they celebrated the impending marriage, the first in their palace in twenty years, with their beloved king and queen.

Maheen and Aditya spared no effort in ensuring the utmost for their beloved daughter. They diligently sought out the perfect match for her, leaving no detail overlooked. Now, they were committed to providing her with nothing but the finest as long as she remained under their care and roof.

"Aditya I've asked Vayu to house the baraat in the west wing of the palace, the common grounds of the palace for the west shall remain closed for the time." Maheen said as she struck off  another task from her to do list.

"Alright my love." Aditya said looking at his wife lovingly. It had been thirty three years since their wedding and he realised he loved her more each day.

"Adi have you received anything from Mohini yet ? When is she coming ? The wedding is in fifteen days and the royal family for Balabgadh will be here in the next five and if Lekha's phupho isn't there to greet them what will we tel-."

"Mahi, my love relax." Aditya said walking towards his wife and wrapping his arms around her. He placed a kiss on her forehead and smiled at her. "Everything is going to be great, Mohini and her husband will be here by tomorrow and Dev and Vidya too."

Maheen relaxed in his arms and took in a deep breath, his scent always helped her feel calmer, safer.

"Good. Great. Aditya I - I just want this to go without any hiccups, I want the best for our daughter. I'm just scared, I can't help but think of the past, of how we got married, of how hopeless I felt, I know that our marriage was the best thing that happened to me but-."

"It was meant to be Mahi, for both you and me, what's meant to be will be. Stop fretting and enjoy." He said placing a kiss on her forehead.

"Bhaiya I told you to knock on their door." The voice made them turn their head around. "With Maa and Papa you never know what we might walk into." The young man of twenty seven summers said and
chuckled.

"I agree." Said the man next to him who was a splitting image of his father. Exactly how Aditya looked when he married Maheen at thirty one.

"I agree." Aditya chipped in.

"I agree." Maheen said and the four burst out laughing.

Maheen and Aditya had never shied away from expressing love for each other in front of their kids. They had never held back showering them with love and the result of their upbringing had been a happy, loving family.

Their oldest Vayu was the crowned prince, he would soon take the throne but he believed he had a few more lessons to learn from his father before shouldering the responsibility of Awadh.

Their second born was the class clown of their family, Prithvi, and his personality was a 180 to him on the battle field, he was the Army General, feared and respected by every citizen of Awadh.

And their last had been the result of Aditya's prayers, after two boys he had sincerely hoped and prayed for a girl, Lekha, their only daughter was the apple of her father's eye and her mother's weakness, and now after twenty one years of nurturing her, they were going to bid her adieu.

"Maa, Papa, you guys should stop sneaking out at least now when have to pull this wedding off. Lekha has been looking for you for the past hour Maa and then she sent bhaiya and I to scout for you, so please before she throws a fit, check up on her." Prithvi said folding his hands in front of his mother.

"I swear to god, the only thing he is scared of in this world is of his five foot two sister, not me nor you Aditya not an entire army." Maheen said shaking her head in amusement.

"You don't know how scary Lekha can be when she has to be." Prithvi replied with a shiver.

Aditya's eyes went wide. "You don't mean it." He said with a small smile.

"Oh I agree with him Maa, Lekha is scary when she has to be." Vayu chipped in.

"This is all you two do in my absence." The voice made the two six feet tall men gulp in fear. "Talk about how I'm the villain. You two must be so happy, so so so happy that your evil little sister is going to get out of your house, your life and she won't bite your heads anymore."

Vayu turned around quickly whereas Prithvi muttered a prayer before turning on his heels.

"No Lekha, we.. we are sad-."

"Extremely sad."

"Yes extremely sad that you are leaving home and us and that you won't threaten us or beat or -."

"Bite our heads off ?"

"Yes bite our heads off." Vayu said with a small smile.

"We love you Lulu." Prithvi sing songed earning a smack from their sister.

"Get out both of you." Maheen said pointing towards the door. "If you are done with the tasks assigned to you for the day I have hundreds more left that you could do."

"No we just, we'll go." Vayu said and rushed out of the room followed by Prithvi.

"Lekha, my love." Maheen said approaching her daughter. "Why were you looking for me, do you need something ?"

"No."

"Then my love ?"

"I'm going to miss you and papa when.. when I leave." She said her eyes pooling with unshed tears. "I'll miss Vayu bhaiya and Prithvi bhaiya too maa. Can I not go, can't I stay with you forever." She said as she burst out crying.

"You can beta, we can still call off this wedding if your heart isn't into it. I would love for you to stay home with us always, I'll send -."

"ADI." Maheen shut him up. "Stop being a fool." She hugged her daughter and guided her towards the bed.

"My darling, my precious baby." Maheen said placing a kiss on her daughters forehead.

"Every girl must leave her father's house and go maker her own one day. I left my house and came here with your father, to a different kingdom." Maheen held her daughter's hand between her own.
"You my love are just three days away from home, the king of Balabgadh has sworn loyalty towards the Suryavanshi's and ruled under your father's banner. He is a good man my baby, he will keep you happy."

"I hope so too maa, he rule's under our banner, I hope he accept me as his wife and not as his duty or obligation to my family name."

"Of course not my Princess." Aditya said hugging his daughter. "He truly is a good man."

"Then I must not worry, I trust the two of you to do what is right." Lekha said.
"I'll go ask someone if they know when Abeer mamu and Gehna mammi will arrive."

"Alright baby. I'll come to you shortly." Maheen said and after hugging her parents goodbye Lekha left their chamber.

"They grew up in the blink of an eye." Aditya said with a sigh.

"I'm so proud of how we have raised them, so proud." Maheen said melting into her husband's embrace.

•••
Vote
Comment
And love