Chapter Fifty-Three

I had a nightmare that night. I wasn't sure what even brought this about, seeing as my day hadn't exactly been bad...but I guess I was due for one eventually.

I was surrounded by darkness—not unlike the endless void I had found myself in when I had died...though, not quite the same, either. While the memories of the other side were slowly starting to fade over time, I at least remembered enough to realize that something was...off, about this void.

For one, the floors were not solid. They felt...soft, almost bouncy, in a way I didn't want to really think about. And the air was warm, and moist, and while I couldn't see anything in front of me—or hells, around me, even—I got the sense that I was better off remaining in the dark.

One step turned into two, then three, and pretty soon I was at a leisure pace, hands extended in front of me as I mentally tried to will myself awake. There wasn't really much sound, either. Save for my walking—which, horrifyingly enough sounded a little...wet—there wasn't really much that could even help me gage where my nightmare was currently taking place.

I stopped with a sigh, looking blindly around me as the silence grew even more deafening. However...after a few moments contemplating different ways I could try waking myself up...a sudden bit of movement immediately caught my attention, causing the hairs on the back of my neck to stand at full attention. I instinctually went for my sword, only to realize that I was obviously unarmed, and not at all in a good position to protect myself.

I cursed under my breath, and strained my hearing so much that I could hear my own racing heart, as I tried to gage just where that sound came from.

My head immediately snapped to the right as something shifted once more, and at this point, since it had been so silent...I could hear the faintest growl of...something. And it came from that direction. Terror crept up my spine and the palms of my hands began sweating as I stood as still as mortally possibly, trying not to catch—what ever it was—'s attention, and I could hear it slowly shifting around, as if it was trying to find the "meal" it had just lost.

I was scared, I could admit that. I mean, who the hell wouldn't be, in this situation. And yes, I knew this was more than likely a dream and theoretically there was nothing to worry about...but something about those growls sparked something within me. A sense of dread and recognition washed over me once I recognized the growls. Those were the same growls the creatures that killed me, made. Those creatures from that hellscape of a place. And they were here. Wherever in my nightmare "here" was.

I was so scared that I didn't realize I exhaled a little two loud, not until I was suddenly tackled to the wet, mushy floor by a dark, large weight. I panicked and thrust my hands out as that terrifyingly dark face snapped closer to me, it's warm breath on my face as I tried so desperately not to let it bite me with teeth as sharp as razors. Not again. I didn't want to feel that pain again, even if this was a mere dream.

I kept its toothy maw at bay, its growls and hisses growing louder as I strained, and strained to keep it away from me. But my grip was slipping, slowly, and I knew I couldn't hold it back for long.

I was now in full flight or fight mode, and if anything from my previous encounters with these creatures taught me anything, it was that they were incredibly quick and agile, which should have put running from them off the table...however, they were incredibly strong, as well, and I was unarmed...I didn't stand a chance either way.

I did know I didn't want to remain under this creature for much longer—not to mention I could also feel the way my muscles burned and my arms shook trying to keep it at bay—so I decided to run and pray I would wake up before it caught up to me.

I kicked between us, managing it to lose its footing on the slick, warm surface beneath us, and pulled myself to my feet before sprinting as fast as I could in the opposite direction. My heartrate was erratic, my lungs were struggling to keep air in them, and gods, I was terrified.

So I ran, and ran, and ran, and ran, praying that I was creating some distance between me and the creature, and hoping that there weren't more of them hiding within the darkness.

I wanted to wake up.

I prayed that I would wake up.

But something caught hold of my foot, which had me slamming onto the ground with a heavy thud. The air was knocked from my lungs, and not a moment passed before I felt a heavy weight on my back—the creature having caught up from me.

I had fallen face first against the floor, so I had no time to turn and defend myself before I felt the agonizing pain of it's claws sinking into my back—causing a scream to rip from my lips as tears began welling in my eyes.

This is a dream.

This is a dream.

This is a dream.

Its teeth sunk into my shoulder, causing another pained scream to fall from my lips. I could feel the warmth of my blood as it seeped from me at an alarming rate. And that familiar feeling of all the warmth slipping from me as this...this thing feasted on me, washed over me.

Why am I not waking up?

Alaban help me!

Narvi!

Someone!

Please!!

I couldn't move, at this point, even as the creature flipped me onto my brutalized back—muscle and bone no doubt exposed as another wave of pain slammed into me, it's claws sinking into my stomach before ripping out my innards.

I doubt I had ever screamed as loud as I did in that moment.

And as I screamed, I fell down onto a hard surface as a warm, metallic taste filled my mouth—my body convulsing against the floor of a familiar, warm home.

I wasn't sure how I had made it to the living room in my sleep, but here I was, convulsing and puking up blood. All that noise seemed to wake Narvi up, and as soon as he saw the state I was in, he paled, and immediately rushed to me, blue eyes plagued with worry as he rolled me onto my side, frantically holding me as he yelled for Alaban.

Alaban rushed into the living room with a bewildered and frantic look on his face, which melted to terror as soon as he saw the state I was in.

"What happened?!" The sun dragon demanded as he dropped to his knees and pulled me against him, the man looking absolutely terrified.

"I-I don't know, I-I woke up and he was like this," Narvi explained, scooting closer to the two of us, his hands grabbing my shaking ones.

I wanted to tell them it was all a dream, that I had some very screwed up nightmare that my body was reeling from mentally. But I couldn't seem to keep my eyes open, and soon...I was out.

A/N: I know, I know, it's been wayyy too long since I updated, and that is unfortunately because of some major, major writers block that seems to be plaguing me, atm. No matter how hard I try, I could not for the life of me even come up with a way to start this chapter, nor how to finish it, but alas, finally, I managed to gather enough juice to concoct this terrifying chapter.

So, apologies that it's been so long, I hopefully will be able to keep these creative juices flowing lol

Anywho, with that said, I hope you all enjoyed the chapter!!!