Happy end

"Guess who just got engaged!!"

All my colleagues, my friends and neighbours are so happy for me. I'm elated, feeling an unexplainable urge to tell everyone that I'm finally engaged now. Our wedding will be beautiful. This is my happy ending.

Work has become incredibly easy. Except today... "Hello, Francis is my name" a man says. "Nice one, my fiancé is sleeping upstairs, I just kissed him" I say mockingly without even looking up. "And besides, Francis Mosses doesn't have those eyebrows" I keep talking. Suddenly he gets angry, banging on my window and I jump."Marika! I can't believe you betrayed me like that! You piece of shit. Now let me in so we don't go extinct" he shouts.

I freeze. "Jorekis! It's you. Where have you been?" I ask in surprise.

He shakes his head "Your little fiancé has left me to die. Only for you to marry him? Do I mean nothing to you?" He asks and I get confused.

"He left you to die? How? I didn't know... Jorekis. I missed you" I say softly. But Jorekis is furious.

"He dragged you out and looked at me. All this time they decided to kill you for being half blooded but I prevented it with all the strength I had left. I wanted to run away with you but one day, that piece of shit came and took you away, looking at me in disgust. I didn't even have enough time to create a plan to escape!"

"I doubt he meant to do this. Oh, Jorekis. I missed you dearly. Are you okay?"

"I might lose my powers forever... once I'm out of energy I will be that terrifying, ugly creature for the rest of my life so no, it will be our last moment. Unless I finally kill someone, then I can take their place, as a Doppelgänger. We are very capable of replacing the people we consume."

"Oh, Jorekis. I love you for who you are. You are my friend and I don't want you to go. Even if you turn into a bear, I would still be with you. I didn't know what happened. I lost my memory. I did not betray you. Especially not someone who has done so much for me. Let us talk things out." I say reassuringly.

"Bullshit. You betrayed me." He says and hits my window

"Stop this or I will have to call the D.D.D. I don't want to do this to a friend. Please, let's talk this out"

"No. I wouldn't feel any pain if I hurt you right now. Don't believe I'm dumb, this glass window is easier to take apart than you think"

I start to shiver. Suddenly I hear steps. "Francis!" I scream. He looks at Jorekis, closely resembling him this time.

"Leave my fiancé alone. We don't owe you anything anymore. Go ahead, threaten the D.D.D. they will take care of you" Francis says.

Jorekis starts laughing and suddenly Francis runs out the door. Both of them are fighting and before I can even look at what's going on, I don't even know which one is Francis and who is Jorekis.

"Turn on the alarm and call the D.D.D.!" Francis yells while still fighting, shielding himself from the claws Jorekis just... grew? It looks terrible.

"Marika! Please. I will make it. Promise"

"Jorekis calm down!! Both of you will die if you don't stop being so aggressive!! I love you." I scream, crying hysterically. My body trembles in shock and I can't even comprehend anything at this point. I'm beyond helpless.

"Fuck you. Both of you. Get a taste of the abandonment I endured. Once I'm done with your boyfriend fiancé, you're next, I promise" Jorekis declares in the possibly deepest voice I have ever heard.

Francis defends himself, now attempting to come close to the window. He has scratches all over his face. "The- button!! Call the D.D.D. now. Marika, I love you-"

A clear seriousness can be seen in his eyes. I have to trust him.

3

3

1

2

...

... ...

...

I do as I'm told and activate the alarm and call the D.D.D.. They arrive in less than a minute.

"Cleansing process complete. Please continue-"

"Wait. Where are they?"

"Cleansed. Now keep working, woman."

"No that can't be. One of those men is my fiancé"

"And both of them were taken care of, now shut up, I'm just doing my job"

I run outside. "Francis? Where did they take you? He's innocent! He's innocent don't kill him... please" I scream and break down. Why did this have to happen, now that everything was getting better? They took both Francis and Jorekis and killed them? No... that can't be

I break down entirely, people walking past me quietly.

"No... no, no, no, no, no" I look up and see Nacha look through the window. Shock evident on her face, even so far up I can see it. I'm sorry... I failed everyone.

I wanted to have my happy end. Now I don't even care anymore, whether I get a happy ending, or maybe a sad one. I just want it to end. For it to be over, to never feel pain again.

Suddenly I feel a hand on my shoulder. "Marika!!" I hear a voice. I turn around to see Francis and scream in relief, hugging him tightly. "I made it out! Barely, but they realized I was human, they recognized me! I won't ever leave you, my Rika..."

"My Francis, I thought I lost you forever... god, why did Jorekis do this? Are you okay?" I ask, feeling his face. He has a few scratches, but otherwise he's unharmed. He looked much worse before, but maybe I just exaggerated out of shock. It feels like he has healed some of his wounds already. I break down crying. Both mourning the loss of a good friend and also because I'm relieved. Nobody can take my happy end from me, from now on I will only accept a happy end and nothing else

But I can't help but think about Jorekis.

"Oh, my Jorekis. Thank you for everything. Rest well" I whisper. I look at Francis. He hugs me tightly and strokes my hair gently, leaning in for a kiss. We close the gap between us, tears streaming from both of our faces.

Francis gently carries me into his apartment. I get comfortable and slowly fall asleep next to him.

From now on, I get to fall in love with Francis all over again. I get to fall asleep next to him every single day for the rest of my life. I feel relieved. Even if it means well... the heartbreaking loss of Jorekis. I wonder what ran into him... but to be fair, I prefer to not be confronted with that. I'm tired.

"You may kiss the bride"

"Anastacha? You're so talented"

"Nacha came to visit"

"The Doppelgänger war is over and all Doppelgängers have officially died out"

"We finally bought a house!"

"I'll pay for the college tuition of Anastacha! I think you should always follow your dreams"

"Thank you for being here for me"

"God, remember how awkward I was back then? I was so shy when I first saw you"

"I love you so much, Marika"

"I wish Jorekis could have gotten along with us. We could still be friends. I miss him dearly..."

"My Rika..."