Chapter 20: Round I

Jaydin and Zoroark walked onto the battlefield, as did his opponent. Reeka had let out all her other Pokemon to watch, as the space was big enough and Lillie gave permission. Pikachu and Charcadet sat on Reeka's lap while Meltan sat on her shoulder. Sceptile and Noivern sat next to her. Reeka sent out silent prayers towards Jaydin.

The two students entered their respective trainer boxes. They didn't exchange any words though, but none were necessary. Faba entered the referee box.

"This will be a 3v3 battle against Alola Academy representative Jaydin and Pewter Tech representative Blake! There is no time limit and substitutions are allowed for both sides. Furthermore if you possess items to perform Z-Moves, Mega Evolution or Terastillization, you are only permitted to use one of them. If both competitors are ready..."

Jaydin closed his eyes. He thought back to all his gym battle victories, and all the leagues he refused to enter.

'This time...this time, I won't run away!' He thought.

Everyone in the audience grew excited. Reeka focused only on Jaydin.

"Let the battle...BEGIN!" Faba declared.

'I'll show everyone who I am!' Jaydin internal yelled as his eyes shot open. He flashed a confident and excited grin as he pointed his index finger out. "Zoroark, I choose you!"

Zoroark leaped forward and took a battle stance as she let out a confident growl.

Blake revealed his first Poke Ball. "Go, Onix!"

In a flash, an Onix appeared. It let out a mighty roar as it got ready.

"Use Flamethrower!" Jaydin said.

Zoroark fired her attack at Onix. It hit and caused Onix to roar in pain. Everyone was surprised by this.

"So strong..." Blake said to himself. "Onix use Iron Tail!"

Onix's tail glowed as it swung its tail towards Zoroark.

"Catch it with Shadow Claw!" Jaydin said.

Zoroark powered up her claws and caught Onix's tail right before it hit her. She was pushed back a little bit but remained on her feet. Everyone gasped again.

Lusamine was in the special observation space as Lillie and Reeka.

"That Zoroark is strong" Lusamine said.

"So I've heard" Lillie said to her mother.

'If only they knew just how strong she is' Reeka thought to herself.

"Use Flamethrower on its tail!" Jaydin said.

Zoroark unleashed her Flamethrower on Onix's tail, causing the latter to cry out in pain again. It finally managed to break free.

"Use Stone Edge!" Blake said.

Onix slammed its tail into the ground, making rock pillars burst from the ground towards Zoroark.

"Obliterate the pillars with Night Daze!" Jaydin said.

Zoroark let out a battle roar as she slammed her fists into the ground. A huge blast of dark energy burst out and destroyed the rock pillars.

Blake grunted. "Use Rock Slide!"

Onix straightened up and produced huge chunks of rocks that started falling towards Zoroark.

"Use the rocks to get higher into the air!" Jaydin said.

Zoroark did so, leaping from one rock to another.

In Kanto, Ash and Serena were watching with an intrigued yet nostalgic look on their faces.

"Reminds me of your gym battle against Grant all those years ago" Serena said.