LOVE ON FIRE

Exiting the meeting room with a buoyant spring in his step, Rajat was elated by the accolades his boss had showered upon him. Being entrusted with his dream project was a momentous occasion, one he couldn't wait to share with someone close to him. But as he pondered his options, he found himself hesitating.

Sharing such news with his mother would feel too juvenile, and his brother was still off enjoying his honeymoon, lost in romantic bliss. As for Gyaaneshwari Ji, well, that was simply out of the question. But then, in a moment of clarity, he realized there was one person he could confide in without reservation – Nishi.

Fiddling with his phone, Rajat's fingers hovered over her contact name, apprehension gnawing at him. After all, he had been less than pleasant during their last conversation, and he couldn't shake the feeling of guilt that accompanied the memory. Yet, despite his doubts, he couldn't resist the urge to reach out to her.

Dialing her number, Rajat braced himself for the inevitable disappointment. He was certain she wouldn't pick up, given their recent discord. But still, he couldn't help but hope for a chance to mend fences and share his joy with her.

Meanwhile, Nishi had just landed at the airport, her mind still reeling from the exhaustion of the long flight. She certainly wasn't expecting a call from Rajat, especially after their previous exchange left a sour taste in her mouth. Part of her wanted to ignore the call, to maintain a facade of indifference and keep him at arm's length. But another part, the part that still cared for him despite everything, couldn't resist the pull of curiosity.

Letting the call go to voicemail the first time, Nishi tried to steel herself against the temptation. But when his name flashed across her screen for the third time, she found herself unable to resist any longer. With a mix of apprehension and anticipation, she answered the call, her heart pounding in her chest as she waited to hear his voice.

"Hello, this is Nishi Rajhans. How may I help you?" she answered formally, her voice tinged with a hint of aloofness, as if she didn't recognize the caller.

"Nishi, please stop pretending... I know that you know that it's me," Rajat pleaded, his tone earnest.

"Okay then, you've got ten seconds. Whatever you have to say, say it quickly," Nishi replied briskly, her demeanor guarded.

"First of all, I want to apologize," he began, his voice filled with sincerity.

"Okay, I'm waiting," Nishi said, her tone softening slightly, willing to give him a chance to make amends.

"Sorry, sorry for behaving so oddly with you, and I promise I won't do it again," he apologized, his words rushed yet genuine.

"Well, apology accepted, and I hope you won't repeat such behavior," Nishi replied, a hint of warmth creeping into her voice.

"Done! By the way, I called to tell you something important," he said nervously, his anticipation palpable through the phone.

"I'm listening, but don't tell me you're going to propose to me over the phone," she joked lightly, a playful tease in her tone, recalling a similar jest from him in the past.

"Kidding... Alright, spill the beans. What's up? Wait a minute... you're not going to give me news about my sister's wedding, are you... OMG!!" Nishi exclaimed, her mind racing with possibilities.

"Nishi, will you stop jumping to conclusions?" Rajat interrupted, chuckling at her sudden outburst.

"And by the way, your sister's wedding has already happened, with my brother... what are you talking about?" he clarified, amusement evident in his voice.

"Oh, it's nothing, just about Nitya di and stuff... long story... I'll tell you later. What important thing were you going to say?" she asked, curiosity piqued.