Chapter 12 - College Robots

I may have never been to a college campus before, but somehow the women's dormitory building is the complete opposite of what I expected. The entryway is lined with cushy chairs and tables littered with Bibles, Gospel tracts, flyers, and missionary prayer cards. The walls are lined with floral wallpaper that reminds me of my Nan's guest bedroom. The maroon carpet just beyond the entryway's tile is plush, not commercial grade, as you would expect. It's pristine, almost too clean to walk on which makes me hesitate.

I look at Jess and watch as she absorbs the building with the same hesitancy that I feel. Beyond the entryway, the hall opens into a large common room. It's impossible to see all the contents from where we're standing at the door, but I can see the carpet and wallpaper continue on. I know by her question that Jess has finally noticed the thing that struck me the strangest.

"Uhh...Soph, are we supposed to-"

"Excuse us!" A young blonde woman says as she pushes through us. "Anyway, Joel said the Holy Spirit really spoke to him through my solo of How Great Thou Art, the other day in chapel. I think he might ask to me sign up for the supervised ice cream social next week!" she squeaks at her red-headed friend.

"Man alive! You're so blessed! I keep praying God will open Isaiah's eyes. I just know we're meant to be husband and wife," the redhead says.

"Oh, Sarah, we're supposed to pray for a husband, not for a specific one. What if God has someone else here for you? What if it's Jude?" the blonde replies.

"Oh golly, I hope not. But I suppose His will be done. If that's who God has for me, so be it. As long as I have a godly man to marry by the time I graduate."

Jess and I watch as the two friends sit on the chairs and remove their heels before continuing into the common room leaving us once again alone in the entryway.

"What the heck was that?" Jess asks.

"Disturbing, that's what that was. If I ever start talking like that-"

"I will immediately slap you," Jess finishes for me.

"Appreciated."

Noticing we've now been standing in the doorway for longer than socially acceptable, a brunette walks over to us. "Hi! I'm Madison. Do you need help finding your rooms?" she smiles at us.

"Uhh, yes, please." I hand her the paper that has my assigned room on it. "We're together," I add.

"I thought so," Madison nods.

"Please use these chairs to remove your heel-" Madison pauses and looks at our feet. The disgusted sneer is subtle but hard to miss with the dramatic pause in her words. "I mean tennis shoes. Forgive me, but you ladies received the packet in the mail outlining the dress code, yes?"

"Yeah, we each got one," I say a bit defensively.

"Oh good! If you recall, campus rules only allow tennis shoes during athletic time, and denim skirts," again she pauses to judge us, "are only permitted during outings to town."

"Yeah, like I said, we got the letter," I snip. Is this girl seriously judging us on our travel clothes? Ha! She'd probably have a heart attack to know what Jess and I actually wanted to wear. I already miss my jeans.

"Yes, I see. Well, I just wanted to make sure because you know, first impressions..."

"Can you help us find our room or not?" Jess snaps.

"Oh my soul, yes, I'm sorry I've forgotten my manners. Please remove your shoes and follow me."

The common room is set up in two distinct sections. To the left is a study area. Large bookshelves that house mostly flowers and nick-nacks cover the pink rose wallpaper. Very few books sit on the shelves. Desks and reading chairs are scattered about. The right side of the room is centered around the unlit fireplace. Overstuffed sofas, chairs, and ottomans are situated in a semi-circle to face the fireplace. I immediately notice the lack of technology. No T.V., no radio, no phones, nothing to connect anyone in this building to the outside world.