Chapter 4 : Blackmailing

You will...

Alice kept reading out loud.

... Have to do me a small favor. I want Mary Alice Cullen to join me and my family, as a predictor. You will have 5 days to decide...

Sincerely,
Aro Volturi

Bella laughed sarcastically. "Sincerely fu**ing WHAT?!"

"Bella, please calm down. Please." Edward begged her.

"Calm down? Are you kidding me, Edward? Half of our family might be dead, Renesmee's in such a risky situation, the Volturi are blackmailing us for Alice, and you're telling me to CALM DOWN?!" Bella snapped.

"Bella, that's not what meant. I'm not telling you to forget about everything. I'm aware of the situation we're in, Bella, but you can't be that tensed. You're hurt." he said, reminding her that the only reason she could stand was his arm supporting her waist.

"I'm... I'm sorry Edward, but knowing that everyone is... Under these rocks... And our daughter is... Captured by those monsters and... And god knows if she's alive...!" she told him.

"There's no need to be sorry Bella. It's just... I'm worried about you... About everyone..." he told her. "But, if someone died, it's when the fire occurred, not because they're under the rocks. They're vampires." they stayed silent after that.

Alice then broke the silence, telling them, "Guys! Carlisle is alive! And in a pretty good situation too!" she cheered.

"That's great, Alice!" Bella exclaimed, but then she turned to face Edward. "Isn't there a way my back can heal quicker?" she asked him.

"Actually, there is... Come on, I'll show you something."

He took her into the woods, a little farther away from their ruined now house. Bella had never been there.

He sat her down, and rested her broken back on a tree. He went out of her sight for a few minutes, and then came back, holding something that looked like a corset.

"I kept this just in case" he told her.

She scoffed. "From the 16th century?" she mocked.

"Hey, I'm not that old!" he said, pretending to be insulted. "And no, it's been hidden here, for like, four years." he told Bella.

She pretended to sigh in relief. Edward ignored it, and started to wrap that 'corset thing' around her waist.

When he was done, he told her, "Try to stand up and walk."

"What?" she asked dumbfounded.

He chuckled. "Stand up, and walk. Just try it."

She hesitantly did as he said, and was shocked to not even wince. "Wow... What is this thing?" she asked him.

"A little something Carlisle gave me when I once cracked my back. I couldn't walk for days! That's how hesitant he was to give it to me." he answered her.

"Then how come you gave it to me so quickly?" she asked.

"I can't stand to see you hurt. Plus, I don't think you'd like to lie down while we figure out how to get Renesmee." he told her.

This was when reality hit her. Hard.

"Edward, we have to go back!" she said, reminding him it wasn't the best time to joke around.

"You're right."

As they approached the ruined house, Alice jumped onto Edward and hugged him. "DadMomRosalieEmmetandJasperarealive!" she said in just one breath.

Edward pushed her back slightly, and spoke up, "Wow... TMI. Slow down Alice."

Alice then took a deep breath to relax, and told them, "Dad, Mom, Rosalie, Emmet and Jasper, are alive!" she informed them.

Bella then kicked a ruined rock, breaking it.

"What is it, Bella? Aren't you happy?" Edward asked her.

"No, no. I'm over the moon, actually." she said, and sat down on the rock she had just kicked. She ran her hands through her hair, and said, "It's just... Re-Renesmee is still with those... Monsters... And... And Alice is in suck a risky situation..." Bella then started to cry tearlessly. She would give everything to even shed one tear for her daughter. But vampires can't cry...

Edward sat down beside her, and put an arm around her shoulders. "Hey, shhhh... I promise, we'll get her back. I'll do everything in my my power to get her back. I'll kill all the Volturi, if that's what it takes. As for Alice, there's no way they're getting a single hair of her." he said and tightened his grip around her shoulders.

"We need a real plan, Edward..." she said.

"I know, love... But we have 5 days." he said.

"4 days. It's dusk..." she corrected.

He sighed, and turned to Alice who was approaching them. "Maybe we can go tell the others? Carlisle might have an idea!" she suggested.

"Yeah, sounds good." Edward said.

They went to Renesmee's room ruins, and found Carlisle, Esme, Rosalie, Emmet and Jasper sitting on the rocks, or at least the rocks they could sit on...

"Oh, thank God you're all okay!" Bella said and ran to hug Esme tightly. She whispered something only she and Bella were able to hear.

Carlisle's smile faded when he saw Bella's waist. He had told Edward not to give it so easily. He gave him a strict look. "What did I tell you, Edward?"

"Carlisle, you don't understand. She broke her spine!" everyone gasped when Edward said that. Bella stood up, and looked at them confused.

Carlisle spoke to Bella, "You have to take this off, Bella. I know it makes you feel better, but it slows your healing too much." he told her.

"No, Carlisle. Edward is right, you don't understand. I can't take it off. Not now." she told Carlisle.

"Bella, I'm aware of-" Carlisle started, but was interrupted by Bella.

"No! You're not aware of anything! Renesmee's been captured by the Volturi, and they want Alice in exchange!" she yelled at Carlisle. "They... They gave us 5 days - 4 now - to decide. And I'm sorry Carlisle, but I'm not taking this thing off until I get my daughter back!" what she had said was final.

"Alright" he agreed, still shocked from what she had just revealed.

Bella sat beside Edward, and hugged him, her face buried into his shoulder, and his hand rubbing her back.

"I've a question." she told Edward.

"Go ahead." he said.

"How come none of you are hurt?" she asked.

"Your bones are stronger than a human's Bella, you know that. But since you still are a newborn*, your bones are not as strong as ours." he told her, referring to him and his family.

She nodded. "Edward, I swear, if she's hurt-" Bella started.

Edward put a finger on her mouth, shushing her. "Don't say things like that. I will never let them hurt her."

*A newborn vampire is a vampire that has been turned not that long ago, which makes them 'new'. Newborns are not as resistant to human blood as other animal diet vampires are. They also are less experienced to the vampire life obviously.

Exactly 1.100 words! Yay! See you next chapter! (And I want ideas on how to get Renesmee back without giving Alice away!) Byeeeeeeee!