Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Cassandra’s Point of View- Night of the Wedding

                My hands were jittery, as I stared at Everett from across the ballroom. I tugged on the hem of my pink dress nervously, biting on my lower lips. I had to do this- it was now or never. I kept reminding myself that what I was about to do to Everett was not only pure evil, but complete and utter betrayal to the two years of friendship that we had. But, I had to do this, not for me, but for my sister.

                Blinking back the tears that were welling up my eyes, I forced a smile upon my face, making my way towards Everett. He seemed to notice my coming towards him, giving me a small smile. “Cassandra, hey.” He paused, taking a sip of the red punch that he had in his hand. “Are you enjoying the party?”

                I nodded, giving him a wide smile. Smiling so hard made my cheeks burn, but I had to keep this up this act. “Who isn’t?” I let out a laugh. “Tell your father congrats, by the way.”

                Everett nodded. “Thanks.”

                I gulped, before taking in a deep breath of air. “So, Everett,” I began, catching his attention, “Riley was just talking to me a few minutes ago, and she told me to bring you up to one of the suites at nine forty-five.”

                Even in the dark lights, I saw Everett’s cheeks turning pink. I felt my heart drop to the bottom of my stomach with guilt, knowing that I was not only going to hurt him, but I was going to hurt Riley, as well. I stared at the silver watch that I purposely wore today, showing him that the long handle pointed at the nine. “It’s time, Everett.” I gave him a teasing look. “Are you going to stand Riley up or what?”

                Everett seemed completely convinced, falling right into the trap that I had set up for him- along with Katie, of course. “Alright, lead me to the suite.” Everett said, following me out of the noisy ballroom.

                As Everett and I stepped into the elevator to head to the second floor, I kept replaying the plan in my mind. Katie specifically told me what to do. First, I had to get him to believe that Riley wanted to meet him up in the suite. Check. Second, I needed to get him to follow me up there. Check.

                “Second floor, right?” Everett asked, stepping out of the elevator. “I think we’re here.”

                I plastered a smile across my face. “Great!” I said, a little too enthusiastically. My switch of tone caught Everett off guard, as he gave me a curious look. I simply ignored him, as I led him all the way down the narrow hallway, in front of room 231. I swiped the card in the lock to open the door, as Everett gave me a look.

                “Why do you have the key?” he asked suspiciously.

                I let out a weak laugh, fear creeping up inside of me. If I even slipped once, I was going to be busted. I had to do everything against my will to make sure that didn’t happen. “Oh, Riley told me that she might be a few minutes late, so she gave me the key in advance, just so she wouldn’t keep us waiting.”

                Everett nodded, stepping inside the room, as closed the door behind us. “Wow, this is a nice room.” He muttered under his breath.

                While Everett had his back turned, I took the bottle of wine from the cooler, quietly unscrewing the cap. I poured some in a glass, and just as Everett was about to turn around, I rushed up behind him. This caused me to spill my glass of red wine all over his dress shirt. I faked a gasp, as I clamped a hand over my mouth. “Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry!” I squealed, trying to rub the wine off of his white dress shirt, only resulting the stain to smudge and grow bigger.