Chapter 8

Chapter 8

                The night of homecoming, a few of Cassandra’s friends and I gathered at her house to get dressed for the dance. I didn’t exactly feel comfortable around all of Cassandra’s other friends, but I wasn’t going to complain to her about it. I was glad myself that I was even asked to come to the homecoming dance with them. After all, Cassandra was the closest I’ve ever gotten to a friend that was a girl.

                “Riley, do you need me to get your dress from the closet?” Cassandra asked.

                I was sitting by her vanity, where one of Cassandra’s friends, Janie, was helping me curl my hair into loose ringlets. I turned my head slightly towards Cassandra so that I wouldn’t mess up my hair, but so that I could still see her slightly. Cassandra was already dressed into her violet purple dress, and her hair was pinned up with loose curls falling from the sides.

                “Sure.” I smiled at Cassandra, as I watched her disappear into her closet to find my dress. I stared back at my reflection in the vanity mirror, noticing that Janie was just about done with my hair. “Wow, it looks great. You’re really good at this.” I commented, as Janie pulled out a can of hairspray to sprits all over my head of brown curls.

                Janie smiled shyly, as a small blush appeared on her temples. Throughout the few hours that I have been over at Cassandra’s house, I’ve noticed that Janie was one of Cassandra’s more mellow and shy friends. She was quiet around people she didn’t know, but she quickly warmed up to you once you got to know her. After chatting with her for a while, she offered to do my hair for me. “Thanks.” Janie smiled, lightly fluffing up my hair so that my curls wouldn’t look too put together. “I want to be a hairdresser when I get out a college.”

                “You should be!” I exclaimed. “You’re really good at doing hair. I’ve never seen my hair this pretty before.”

                Janie smiled, as she tucked a strand of her black hair behind her ears. Cassandra suddenly came bursting out of her closet, holding up two dresses in her hands, which were mine and Janie’s. “Riley and Janie, I need you guys to get dressed right now! The limo’s coming in fifteen minutes!” Cassandra called out, tossing the two of us our dresses.

                I took my dress from Cassandra, as I went into her bathroom to get dressed out of my sweatpants. When I put on my dress, I couldn’t help but notice how it fit my like a charm. I guess knowing that Mrs. Rosenfeld once wore a dress like this to her prom made me feel so much better in it. It felt like this dress was meant for me.

                I noticed that my dress exposed my knees though, so my gash from a few earlier was still noticeable. It was long and jagged, and the scab was still red and unpleasant to stare at. I took out a roll of bandage from my bag that I packed earlier today, just in case if I needed it. I wrapped it around my knee so that it covered the scab. When I turned to stare at my reflection once again, I noticed that the bandage was barely noticeable, but you could still see it if you looked closely.

                A knock on the door startled me, as I went over to open it. Cassandra had a frantic look on her face, as she pulled me out of the bathroom. “Let’s go, Riley! The limo is outside!” she said, as she passed me a pair of sparkly silver heels.

                We quickly got outside to where the black, stretched limo was parked. All of the girls were already inside, as I sank into the leather seating between Janie and Cassandra.

                “This is going to be so exciting!” Ginger squealed, clapping her manicured nails together. I noticed how she struggled to sit still in that little tight dress of hers.