Chapter One

"It's Levi

"It's Levi." My knees hurt from the cracked underground pavement this man has pushed me onto.

"Levi." He takes a step closer, his boots falling into a murky puddle. "Would you make a deal with me?"

My eyes snap up in suspicion. "Deal?"

"I won't ask about your crimes. In return, you lend me your strength and join the Survey Corps."

"If I refuse?" I look at my friends, Furlan and Isabel, being held by the other soldiers.

"I'll hand you over to the Military Police."

I sigh, knowing I've lost. We would be treated even worse than whatever is outside the walls. "Very well. I'll join the Survey Corps."

Above ground is a shock to the three of us

Above ground is a shock to the three of us. The warmth, the intense brightness, the blue of the sky is foreign. Carriages, on the other hand, weren't, just the roads above are smoother.

The Survey Corps training facility is huge.

"Entering the Survey Corps...doesn't that mean..." Furlan finally speaks.

"I have no intention of enlisting. I came here to get closer to that blond jackass. I'll wait for an opening, then I'll kill that rat bastard."

Furlan grabs my arm angrily. "Don't you remember my plan? If you're still lost, let me refresh your memory. There's no way they'll ever make contact with us again. It'd be pointless to kill Erwin now. This is our big chance. I know it'll work. Trust me, Levi."

We stare at each other until another soldier shouts at us. "You three! This way!"

My eyes search the stars

My eyes search the stars. This is the first time seeing them or really, seeing anything when looking up. I wonder how many others look up at these same stars and have their whole lives. Do they even appreciate them anymore?

"It's beautiful!" Isabel says, startling him. Her and Furlan snuck onto the roof as well. She holds up liquor bottles that she has undoubtedly stolen.

We sit, looking at the beautiful scene above us. I look over at my friend. "I won't kill him for now. I'm going to trust you."

"Now you three! Introduce yourselves!"

"Name's Levi," I mutter, staring at my peers. My friends introduce themselves after me, waiting for my lead as usual.

"They'll be assigned to Flagon's squad."

A blonde skinny man protests. "You're putting them on my squad?!"

The stern older man stops. "Is that a problem?"

Flagon backtracks. "Of course not! I just thought they'd surely be placed under squad leader Erwin..."

"I will be assigning Erwin to support the expedition command in maintaining the new formation outside the wall. Due to that, he will have no time to look after the new soldiers."

Flagon salutes. "Understood, sir!"

The man shows us around, not seeming to hold any hostility with having us three.

"Sweet! So we all sleep in the same room!" Isabel says, looking at all the bunk beds excitedly.

"The women's barracks are separate."

"Awww, I wanna stay here too!" she complains.

"This is your two's bed."

I stare in disgust, carefully placing a finger on the frame. Dirt and dust fall at the slightest touch. My shoulders visibly shiver at the intrusion of my senses.

"I know you've spent your whole lives living in a trash heap, but try to keep this place clean."

"What?" There's an edge to my tone, one Flagon immediately picks up on.

"Hey! Don't take that tone with your superior officer, you little punk!"

I rush up to him, ignoring the fact that my face only comes up to his chest. "What did you just say?!"

Furlan puts an arm across my chest, pulling me back. "Anyways, don't worry, Mr. Squad Leader, sir! We'll keep it clean!"

We continue to stare at each other until the man is the first to back down. "Tsk. When you're done unpacking, come to the training yard. Church will beat you into shape, starting with a proper salute." He walks away.

Furlan immediately turns on me. "Levi, didn't I tell you not to cause trouble?!"

Sighing, I start airing out the dust from my blanket and pillows. My arms lift up Isabel when she goes to sit on the top. "Didn't you hear how he talked about us? Like shit calling shit dirty."

"Military hazing is always vicious. If you draw attention over something like this..."

"They'll only treat you with courtesy if you act dull like them."

"Until we get our hands on those documents, we've gotta do everything we can to avoid arousing the soldiers' suspicions."

"What a pain in the ass," I mutter.

"Stop bothering Levi, Furlan." She pops her head over from the top bunk. "We will just beat the stuffing out of them like we do underground!"

Furlan stares her down like the disapproving older brother he is. "Quiet. Idiots should be seen, not heard."

"Hey! Who are you callin' idiot?"

"Fine, what's eighteen plus twenty-two?"

She stumbles over herself, trying to find the answer aloud. Putting her out of her misery, I tell her the solution. "It's forty, idiot."

"Levi! Not you too!"

I rub my knuckles over her head lovingly. "You're such a pain in the ass, idiot. You don't need to know how to add to go on living anyway. Let Furlan live on numbers instead of food and see where that gets him." I turn to him. "But Furlan, didn't your plan call for us to join Blondie's squad?"

"At least give me a small margin of error. We made it into the Survey Corps. As long as we find it before the expedition outside the wall."

"We've still gotta take care of him." Furlan knows who I'm talking about.

"I understand how you feel, but-"

"Furlan." I stop him. "I'll go along with your plan, but I will kill him."

A/N: Happy belated birthday, Levi~