23 - The Beginning of the End

Crackles of thunder could still be heard in the air, however they were distant now - more a fading memory to the man who had more pressing concerns.

Burnt, beaten, and bloody, he dragged himself away from the scene of his brush with death. It had been a long time since he had come that close to dying; probably centuries, but he didn't know for sure.

He had to get away from there - take time, heal. It would be foolish to try anything at that point. Should he make another attempt on the boy's life too soon he would only be obliterated, and while he was desperate, he wasn't stupid. No, he would flee - hide. He would build an army of the foulest, most dangerous creatures he could find. They were out there, tucked away in dark crevices and only the most remote areas of the globe, just waiting to be called upon.

With a small smirk and a flash or light, the man disappeared.

Justin Summers would not live.

JUSTIN

"How is it even possible?! He's dead! I killed him!"

"Jus-"

"It doesn't make any sense! I watched him die!"

"J-"

"How many times are we supposed to kill this bas-"

"JUSTIN!"

I stopped pacing and looked at Sophie, a little stunned. I'd never heard her raise her voice before.

"I'm not sure how, but he's back. And we'll deal with him again, just like last time."

I looked into her glittering blue eyes, seeing her son in them for the first time, and heaved a sigh to calm myself.

"You're right," I said, turning to Bryan, "But how's it possible?"

Bryan just shrugged, "I honestly don't know Justin, but like Sophie said, we'll figure it out."

"F-figure what ou-out?" I heard a groggy voice say.

                                   «»

Crying. Screaming. The anguished shouts of family members mourning their loved ones. A paramedic rushed past us as we exited the hospital, paying no mind to our presence as he jabbered away on his radio.

"Bryan!"

We all turned to see Mary Cole jogging toward us.

"Mary. Are you alright? Where is everyone? What's goi-"

"Not now Bryan! Not here! We have to go!"

"Go where?" Sam spoke up for the first time since waking.

Mary beckoned us to follow and we did. "We've moved everyone who's still alive to the city limits." She looked at Bryan briefly, "It didn't take long."

Her words sent a chill down my spine and I wondered how many were dead. I felt Sam take my hand and give it a reassuring squeeze, a stoic look on his face.

The hospital wasn't too far into town, so it didn't take long for our small party to meet up with everyone. I looked around at the scene with a sick feeling, a sour taste filling my mouth. There were three groups, adding up to a grand total of three hundred at most. I recognized about forty odd of them from the fight months previously, but the others I had never met.

"This is everyone who responded to my call for help," Mary said, then she indicated the smallest huddle, "Those are all of the remaining wolves in this area, and they," she nodded to the others, "are from god knows where."