XI

XI.
__________
Song of the chapter:
Young God by Halsey
__________

For a Thursday night, I shouldn't have expected it to be any less busy than it was. The last person to walk in left about an hour ago. Due to how quiet the restaurant was, all of the employees went home early besides myself.

By nine, the "open" sign was shut off and the kitchen door was locked by me. I didn't plan on seeing any customers come in, but I did expect Justin. After all, he did say he was going to be visiting me. A part of me couldn't help but feel the slightest bit giddy.

Why? my subconscious noted. You know you're only another notch on his belt. You're nothing more than that.

Yeah, I argued with myself. But it's so exciting to be the next girl. It's so exciting to have someone interested in more than just copying my homework or tutoring for a test. He's interested in me.

Justin wasn't at school that day-- at least I hadn't seen him. I wasn't at all surprised, however I was a little relieved. He was sparing me of the degrading jokes and reminder of what we did the night before.

He doesn't need to remind me. I can't get it out of my head as it is.

It was when I was putting the stack of menus beneath the counter when I heard the bell on the door, causing the butterflies in my stomach to uproar. Before I looked up, I smoothed out the black apron around my waist and the short black skirt I wore. Typically I liked wearing pants, but I had a reason not to. Even better, the skirt I wore followed dress code. Something about my outfit gave off the vibe of Rachel Green's character from the show Friends: the black tights, the black short skirt, the black top and shoes.

My eyes slowly flickered upwards, unsurprised to see Justin waking through the doorway. He ran his fingers through his soft hair, my palms aching with jealousy. He licked his lips, my own becoming thoughtlessly greedy.

Be cool! At least play hard to get a little bit!

Swallowing back the lump in my throat, I pushed myself to speak. "What are you doing here?"

The corners of his mouth lifted and his eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Don't you remember? I told you I was going to see you tonight."

Ugh!

"Oh yeah," I shrugged, the room raising to at least seven trillion degrees. "I guess I forgot."

He leaned forward against the counter, resting on his elbows just before me. His eyes traced over my face then down to my neck. Luckily, most of the markings faded. Unfortunately, there were a few that were still just too prominent and I had to cover them with makeup, which I was sure had worn off by that point.

"I don't think you forgot." He lifted his hand to push my hair behind my shoulder to expose my neck to him. His voice was so smooth and warm as his fingers played with the ends of my hair. "I think you knew I was coming here. I think you thought about this moment all day."

Damn him for being right all the time.

I turned around and started organizing the shelf where we placed all of the condiments at the end of the night, compulsively facing them so I could try to recollect myself before Justin. He had only been there a matter of a minute and I was already about to jump out of my skin, but that was his specialty when it came to me.