XLIX

XLIX.
__________
Song of the chapter:
don't worry you will by lovelytheband
__________

Don't let this bother you right now, I thought to myself as I shoved my books in my locker. Today is supposed to be great. You have a whole month to figure this out. Let it go for now.

I sighed, wishing Mr. Paulson could have at least waited until Monday to drop that kind of bomb on me. Don't get me wrong, I was extremely flattered and thankful that he thought so highly of me, but it was poor timing. My thoughts about Justin had done a complete 180 since I began the project. I wanted it to stay that way, too. I was happy.

My phone buzzed in my pocket, indicating a text message.

J: I'm parked by the side entrance. Can't wait to see you.

Although I was in the midst of a complete ethical dilemma, I found myself grinning at the thought of Justin coming to get me. It was such a simple gesture, but it was evident that he cared about me. It made me feel like I was good enough for once rather than feeling like I was just a face in the crowd or even Anna's shadow, which was a constant feeling I had.

Slinging my backpack over my arm, I closed my locker and headed for the side door at the end of the hall as I did everyday. I then brought my phone to my fingertips and replied to Justin, stating that I'd be out in a minute.

My heart felt heavy due to the fact that I had to already hide something so big from Justin. I wasn't one to want to start a relationship based off of a lie, but it wasn't like I was deliberately trying to hurt him. I truly didn't know what to do. If things went well with us, I knew I'd tell him eventually.

The cold fall air filled my nose as soon as I opened the door, and the breeze pushed my hair behind my shoulders. I tensed up due to the unexpected chill. My eyes scoured the scenery before me for Justin's black car, in which I saw almost immediately. I suddenly felt warm due to the fact that was going to see him in just moments.

Eventually, I was within feet of his car. I saw the driver's side door open, allowing the tall brown eyed boy to appear to my greedy stare. Immediately, all of the guilt I was feeling due to the previous moments subsided as Justin made his way around the car to open the passenger door.

"Hi," he breathed out, a soft smile played upon his lips.

"Hey," I bit my bottom lip. I slipped inside his car, his scent lingering in my nose even when he closed the door. I felt secure. He made me feel so safe and protected. It was as if nothing could hurt me or make me feel insignificant when he was around. It was a feeling I craved so desperately all my life, but I didn't know it until Justin.

He opened the drivers side door and climbed inside, then closed the door. I was enveloped in the warmth of his already running car, cancelling out the bitterness from outside.

"How was school?" he asked, putting the car in drive and steering off. He quickly looked at me as he did this. My stomach flipped.

I nodded, pushing the thought of the NYU scholarship to the back of my head. As badly as I wanted to tell him because I knew he'd be proud of me, I felt so guilty for it. I knew it was better if I didn't say anything at all. "It was good. I mean, not good. It's school." I paused for a moment, hearing his soft laugh in my ears. "How was skipping class again?"

"It was fine," he grinned, knowing I was only teasing. "My car passed inspection— obviously. Then I went to the mall for a little while."

"Yeah? For what?" I asked, turning my head to him as his stare was directly on the road before us.