Chapter Four

Of all the men I had come across, the one I was least comfortable being alone with was now walking at a rather rushed pace in front of me. Theo purposely moved just slow enough to not lose me completely, but fast enough that I found myself stumbling to keep up. It was still considerably better than being dragged across the floor.

I kept considering saying something, but I wasn't sure what it was I wanted to say. Should I apologize? It wasn't quite my fault for being here, but I didn't enjoy being troublesome to another being.

Theo abruptly stopped in front of a door, opening it swiftly before stepping in. I hesitated, which was enough to catch one of his cold stares that demanded me to not be annoying. I stepped into the room. My eyes scanned the room quickly, finding any reason not to look directly at Theo.

It was a bedroom. Or perhaps a massive one-room house with a bed against one wall. The ceiling was magnificently tall. The space alone was almost intimidating. Within the room, other than the bed, was a fireplace where a collection of rather comfortable sofas were gathered. In another area, there was a massive piano which would have looked untouched if it weren't for the music sheets with angry scribbles all over them. Beside the piano was a violin on a display stand. Closer to the bed was a stereo system setup and not much further away was a desk where multiple laptops sat opened on unknown programs. The rest of the room was adorned with tables which held random delicate objects atop, including vases and small statues.

"Before you get comfortable, I have a couple of rules," Theo said from behind me. I looked at him carefully. "First, don't touch anything. Second, don't speak to me unless I speak to you first. No complaining. No crying. Don't even breathe too loudly. Third, always do what I tell you to. If I tell you to cut open your gut with a knife, you'll do it. Understood?" I blinked at him blankly, but then nodded.

Theo narrowed his eyes. "You're so empty." He leaned towards me and I restrained myself from backing away. "You have no personality at all. And I'm supposed to name you?"

He stepped away, lifting his fingers to his chin in thought.

"Is 'Void' a name?" He asked, his question mostly directed towards himself. His eyes glanced from the distance to me, waiting for a response. I wasn't sure what type of response he expected, but after a moment he only made another noise of irritation before pushing me towards the fireplace. He shoved me none-too-lightly to one of the less desirable sofas where the leather cushions were stiff from underuse and planted me down firmly.

"Stay," Theo ordered sharply. He began to walk further into the room towards his computer systems without a second glance. I turned my head to follow his retreating form, opening my mouth momentarily before resigning myself to my continued silence.

I was hungry. I'd never eaten anything before, but I knew this pang within my stomach. I wasn't sure how to address this hunger with Theo or with anyone properly. Did I just announce it? What about a bathroom? No doubt one of the many doors within this room led to a magnificent one, but did I need to ask to use it?

The sofa was facing the opposite direction of Theo within the room. I felt like I had been placed in time-out, or perhaps just out of sight of him. I sighed quietly, tracing my hand over the cold fabric of the sofa. The one just a couple of feet away looked far more comfortable. There were pillows on it and it was closer to the fireplace. Though, if I was being honest to myself, the distance to the fireplace didn't matter because there was no fire lit within it. Something told me Theo didn't intend to bring me any warmth unlike what his family could if I'd only seek them out.