XV

XV

            A WEEK.  IT had been a week since Elysie gained consciousness and the only people she had spoken to were Nicon and Syd.  Growing restless from the lack of human company, she longed for a friend like those she had back in the village. 

            Her sight had drastically improved and at first she thought she was imagining it, but as things began to get lighter and Elysie could see large shapes of gray, her heart swelled.  She didn't tell Nicon for fear that she would let him down if she turned out to be wrong, but it was something nice to hold on to when she awoke in the morning and forgot that her dreams were only dreams and her sight had not returned.

            As for Nicon, after her hesitation to have dinner with him the first day, he made an effort to try and engage her in conversation and inform her as best he could on his way of life.  They exchanged ideas and thoughts and Elysie imagined they were starting to form a friendship.  Nicon was pleasantly surprised that she had given him a chance, and while he was extremely hesitant with getting to know her, he was warming up to the human, so much so that he looked forward to their dining each night. 

            "Syd," she whined to the man sitting on the chair in her room.  It had taken much coaxing, but he finally sat down after a few minutes of Elysie's begging.

            "Elysie," he mimicked.  Syd had quickly realized that he did not need to be afraid of Elysie, and the two had even started to become close companions.  "You should start getting ready, dinner is at six tonight."

            She rolled her eyes, hoping she was facing Syd so he could see.  "What?  I don't look nice enough now?"

            Syd grinned, "You look beautiful, even if you are in less than appealing pajamas."

            Elysie gasped in mock horror.  "You told me they looked nice."

            He shrugged, before realizing that she couldn't see his shoulders rising.  "I exaggerated the truth a bit."

            She threw a soft pillow at him from the bed, and it went soaring next to Syd's head a couple inches away, hitting the wall behind him. 

            "Did I hit you?" she asked with a cheeky grin.

            "Yes," Syd said, huffing, glad to see a bright smile form on the girl's face.  "Your aim is getting better."

            She rolled her eyes, laughing.  "Don't kid me, Syd.  I know that hit the wall.  It echoed differently." 

            The man grinned, observing how happy she looked.  "Perhaps instead of a formal dinner tonight, I may suggest an alternative to the King." 

            Elysie leaned forward, and for a moment, Syd thought she would fall off the edge of her bed in excitement.  "Yes, please!"

            Your Highness, he started.  If I may-

            Stop, Syd.  I feel her happiness.  Syd couldn't tell if the King sounded bitter or if this was how his voice normally sounded when he wasn't angry.  I will see you tomorrow.  The council meeting is scheduled for dawn, is it not?

            It is.

            I'll send food up for Elysie shortly.

            Very well, Your Highness.

            He knew the bond between his King and the new Queen was strained, but the tension was easing as the bond grew.  He didn't know just how negatively she would react to the news of the King summoning the council to the castle; he just hoped she understood that as much as King Nicon might not have liked it, this was his world.  And it was his duty to protect it with his life.