XXXVI

XXXVI

"QUENTIN!" Victoria threatened.

Quentin's face was pale as he blindly grabbed things off the shelves in the living room, sliding them into a large bag.

Victoria continued to yell. "We're going to the Doctor, Quentin, not on a fucking vacation!"

He mumbled something incoherent to his mate and Syd stood by the open door, Victoria's hand in his. She was squeezing his fingers so tight they were turning purple.

Quentin ran a hand through his unruly bedhead. His eyebrows were knitted together with worry and the lines on his forehead seemed to be more prominent this morning. "I should call the Doctor--" he turned quickly, his shoulder clipping a frame on the wall, sending it to the floor with a thud. He spun back around and his slender fingers gripped the side of the frame as he messily placed it back on the hook.

Victoria was seething. "I'm leaving without you. I can't believe--" Quentin quickly rushed over, his thin lips pulled into a small grin. He tried to place a quick kiss on Victoria's lips, but she pushed his face away with her free hand and shook her head. She couldn't stay mad at him if she tried. He seemed more anxious for the baby than she did.

The three of them made their way down the hall, the two men each placing an arm around Victoria's small body. One of her hands rested on Quentin's shoulders, curling around his neck, and the other cradled her stomach.

When they arrived at the Doctor, the couple was ushered into a room and Syd was asked to wait outside for the delivery. Not that he minded, Victoria's screams had turned into low growls and she became angrier by the second. As the door closed in front of him, he heard another painful grunt.

The door quickly opened and Quentin poked his head through. His eyes were wide with terror and he shook his head slightly with a smile that caused his eyes to crease in the corners. "Screw war, my wife giving birth has got to be the most terrifyin' thing this world will ever see."

Syd laughed. "A few more hours and you won't be able to call me pup anymore, huh?"

Quentin's grin widened and he flashed a smile at Syd. "You'll always be our pup, Syd-" he was cut off by a shrill cry from Victoria, followed by another threat and more screaming. "That's my cue-- I'll come find you when she's finished."

Syd didn't have the chance to answer before the door slammed shut and Quentin rushed to his mate's bedside. Syd happily thought about what Quentin said the entire walk back to their quarters. He cared about the couple and was glad they were finally adding to their family. Syd knew they would never kick him out, but he thought it was about time he tried to find a new place to live. 

Unmated wolves generally lived together in large spaces with communal living rooms and kitchens, but their own private bedrooms and bathrooms. Syd had been living in those before the incident with Nicon, and with Killian's death, he wanted to be surrounded by people close to him. It was hard for Syd to make friends in such a violent and war-focused environment. Generally, those that lived in the castle were warriors. He had always wondered what life was like in other territories.

As he reached the door, he found it slightly ajar, with early morning light spilling into the hallway. At first he thought they must've forgotten to pull it shut behind them in their rush this morning, but as he pushed it open, he noticed someone standing next to the shelf in the living room.

Syd's heart started thumping nervously as the man spun around, picture frame in hand. It was a photo of Syd and Quentin, who both had large smiles on their faces.

"Hey, pup!" Avar said with a toothy grin, the picture frame resting in his palm.

"Avar," Syd greeted slowly, unsure why he was here at such an early hour. "I take it you heard the news about Victoria."