Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Mission 8: Naked And Half-Naked

The next few days were terrible and awkward, a not-fun kind of hide and seek with Adam.

If only I could hide forever from him. I'd go with others in the Red Light District for routine checks for motels, gambling dens, and clubs, as well as debt collection. Businesses not owned by the Mafia had been paying 'protection money' to keep them running free from interference from the police, competitors, and even small-time thugs.

With the vastness of the Red Light District, huge money had been coming in every day. Then there were the places owned by the Orleonnes.

Like them, other mafia families had been resurfacing after years of falling off the Commission's radar. That's why Adam had been traveling, crossing countries and continents to build a network. 'Bad people should stick together,' he said. They're treading with quiet steps as possible, adapting like what beasts do to survive.

In between deals with other families, he managed what's left of the Orleonne territory. Bino said it's like a practice, to keep them on their toes. And every work outside the mansion, I volunteered wholeheartedly. I was okay being with anyone in the Fortunello, except Adam.

His words stuck in my head, repeating in every chance it got like an old annoying song-how he's aware of my presence and how he wants me. I wanted him too. And I was freaking out because of it, while he's taking everything in a stride. Being in the same room with him was suffocating.

"Stop staring at her, you're married," Adam reminded the newcomer, while in the middle of a supposed to be a serious meeting.

The newcomer-yet-not-so-new-face Kurt, called Kut, puffed his chest with pride. "Damn right, I'm married, not by law because we're fugitives, but by heart."

He arrived a day ago, and by personal experience, he's different from the data when I was still an Eve. This applied to all of the Fortunellos too. Aside from physical appearances, they all matured, a little perhaps.

"Why are you staring at Eevi?" Inno asked.

"Nothing, she looks familiar."

"That's what someone married would say every time he sees a woman," Bino joined the derailed conversation.

"Am not! No woman can beat my Ellie!"

Bino laid back with a wicked grin. "Ladies and gentlemen, we are witnessing a married man's tantrum, missing his natural habitat-in the arms of his wife."

Adam cut the meeting short and shooed them away, except for me. And so we're left alone. The room was wide enough to occupy two middle-class families' living quarters, and yet, it felt like the narrow torture chamber we used back then for interrogation.

Just as I was holding back, squirming in my hot seat, he declared, "You're avoiding me."

I gave up and fidgeted. "Yeah."

"Why?"

"You know why," I snapped and crossed my arms.

"You're trying hard not to give in, are you?"

Apparently, he asked questions as if he already knew the answer. He just loved making people-me, especially-uncomfortable under his gaze.

"Come on Eevi, relax."

I don't like it. I don't want to be the loser between our games. Or, I don't want to be the only one losing.

The frustration and anger bottled for the past days exploded right there. I slammed my hands on his desk and hissed. "You listen, and listen well. I'm sick of your manipulation and clown magic. It's been months, and I'm still yet to be paid. Don't play with me. We're doing business, so treat me right!"