Chapter 2*

"Sometimes you have to make abrupt decisions that you know will work for you, never mind explaining anything to anyone."

***
While at a Police Press Conference, Detective Inspector Lestrade sits at the table looking uncomfortable while his colleague sitting beside him, Detective Sergeant Sally Donovan, addresses the gathered press reporters.

"The body of Beth Davenport, Junior Minister for Transport, was found late last night on a building site in Greater London. Preliminary investigations suggest that this was suicide. We can confirm that this apparent suicide closely resembles those of Sir Jeffrey Patterson and James Phillimore. In the light of this, these incidents are now being treated as linked. The investigation is ongoing but Detective Inspector Lestrade will take questions now, "Donovan says aloud looking somewhat confident.

"Detective Inspector, how can suicides be linked?" A reporter asks causing Lestrade to look quite flustered. Clearly he disapproves of this inquiry-- not surprising in the slightest. 

"Well, they all took the same poison; um, they were all found in places they had no reason to be; none of them had shown any prior indication of-" Lestrade stumbles over his answer but is soon cut off.

"But you can't have serial suicides," the same reporter states in an attempt to correct Lestrade.

"Well, apparently you can," Lestrade says, almost in a snapping tone, quite unamused by the reported. Imbecile.

"These three people: there's nothing that links them?" A different reporter questions.

"There's no link been found yet, but we're looking for it. There has to be one," Lestrade starts.

"Wrong," I mumble under my breath loud enough for a few people to hear. I'm truly shocked at the lack of intelligence at this establishment. Then multiple people look at me before everybody's mobile phone shows a text alert simultaneously.

As they look at their phones, each message reads:
Wrong!

The few who heard me, look back with a confused look on their faces, not understanding what the abrupt declaration was about.

"If you've all got texts, please ignore them," Donovan announces with a frustrated look plastered on her face. As the chaos stirs up, a pleased look is plastered on my face.

"Just says, 'Wrong'," The first reporter tells as they show the text to Donovan.

"Yeah, well, just ignore that. Okay, if there are no more questions for Detective Inspector Lestrade, I'm going to bring this session to an end," Donovan snaps, her attitude shows through her tone of voice. It's obvious she wants to get this meeting done as fast as possible.

"But if they're suicides, what are you investigating?" The other reporter asks. Well, murders of course, the I think to myself.

"As I say, these... these suicides are clearly linked. Um, it's an... it's an unusual situation. We've got our best people investigating... " Lestrade trails off, still unsure of what he should say. After a brief pause, I mumble a little louder than before, gathering a bit more attention. Another text is sent out that reads:
Wrong!

"Says, 'Wrong' again," The first reporter announces. Lestrade looks despairingly at Donovan, needing some reassurance.

"One more question."

"Is there any chance that these are murders, and if they are, is this the work of a serial killer?" I question, cutting off another reporter who was about to ask the same thing. I ask this rhetorical question even though the answer is clear already.

"I... I know that you like writing about these, but these do appear to be suicides. We know the difference. The, um, the poison was clearly self-administered," Lestrade answers, still unsure and not convincing anyone.

"Yes, but if they are murders, how do people keep themselves safe?" The same reporter I cut off questions aloud, trying to press that they really are murders. Almost proud, I smile to myself at the reporters question.

"Well, don't commit suicide," Lestrade replies bluntly. The reporter looks at him in shock while I let out a soft chuckle in amusement.

"Daily Mail," Donovan mutters under her breath. Lestrade grimaces and looks back at the reporters.

"Obviously this is a frightening time for people, but all anyone has to do is exercise reasonable precautions. We are all as safe as we want to be."

"Wrong again," I announce so everyone can hear me this time. This fool is lying and spreading false information. Without holding back, Lestrade snaps his head in the direction of the voice.

"Excuse-" Lestrade begins to speak but gets cut off by everyone's phone ringing except his own. He throws his hands up in both annoyance and defeat.

Once more each message reads:
Wrong!

 I want to know whoever is sending out these messages. It's as if we're thinking the same thing.

***

I walk out the doors, greeted by the chilly air. My dark brown coat flows behind me as I walk; my strides are long and confident. As I stand, my blonde, braided hair whips across the back of my head in the wind.

"Stupid people," I mumble under my breath, frustrated at the lack of common sense. These people can't truly believe these murders are suicides, right? After a moment of thinking to myself, and to my surprise, my phone unexpectedly rings. I swiftly grab it out of my side pocket, and glance down at the text message I received.

Who are you?
SH

I read it before laughing at the irony of the situation. As I walk down the sidewalk, I shoot a simple text back, not bothered to waste her time.  She copies the idea of the signature at the end by adding her own initials.

Depends.
RB

I send the text as I continue walking down the sidewalk. Almost right away I receive an answer.

Answer the question.
SH

I stand content with the situation, a grin smeared on my face. I'm still curious of who the mystery texter is.

No.
RB

I reply, not expecting an answer yet somewhat disappointing they never responded. Irritated, I just slide my phone back into my pocket before making my way home.

***

A/N: I've been slowly editing and revising this. I wrote this in December of 2015. It is now spring of 2022 and I'm still thinking about this fic. There is so much potential... so much I can do to it. And my sherlock obsession still runs strong.