Chapter 18*

"So what do we do?" I ask as we drive towards the school. Awkwardly shifting in my seat as my skirt rides up.

"You pretend to be a teenager," he replies blandly. So helpful.

"Oh, right, because that's easier than us both pretending to be professors... You don't make sense," I sarcastically comment. "You're a fucking mystery." I roll my eyes as he sits beside me.

"I thought about that... I'll be a professor, while you're a student. I'll give you detention so we can stay back to investigate more."

"Ooh, you're gonna punish me?" I tease him and he gives me the side eye. I sigh before speaking up again to whine. "Why can't I be a professor?"

"Because you don't look like one..." He says before getting out of the cab after paying the fair.

"How so?" I protest, crossing my arms in disagreement.

"You just don't." I sigh before following in after him. He walks in the school doors first, inconspicuously making his way in while I have to stop at the main desk. I wait a couple of minutes before making my way in the front doors.

"Hey," I start trying to be teen casual. I give myself a cute, little preppy voice. "I'm... Sher- Sheralynn Homes," I come up with quickly giving the school's receptionist a smile. My brown bag hangs over my shoulder as I try not to stand to stiff.

"New student?" The lady in the school office asks. I give her a nod in response. "Ah, yes. I see you've been registered. Here's your schedule, and on the back is a map. Have a great day," she says aloud as she hands me the papers. I glance at them before throwing her a brief smile. I walk out of the office and into the hallway, noticing the other students. I groan at the memories I had from when I was in school.

***

"You give me back my book now," I state as two girls hold me back from one other one. She holds my notebook in her grimy little hands, laughing as she flips through the pages.

"I want this notebook," she states before showing it to her friends. "Do you see this?" She laughs, and her friends follow suit.

Bitch.

"Yes, they do," I snap, the anger in my body only building. "But I bet you three don't understand a word in that book," I scoff, shaking off the two girls.

"Says you. I bet this is your first human interaction," The one with my book smirks. "You antisocial freak. God, you're pathetic."

"Shut up," I mumble, trying to keep my cool.

"Look at her, all flustered." Her friend giggles.

"Shut the hell up!" I shout, ready to punch her puny ass. "Shut up, you slut! At least I'm not banging my father's best friend like you are! One call and you'll never see your sugar daddy ever again as he'd be imprisoned for statutory rape," I shout out and everyone in the hallway stops to stare.

"How do you know that?" She snaps while taking a step toward me. The look in her eye tells me she's about to fight me.

"How do I not? It's obvious," I quip, a smile playing on my face. Just then, a fist comes flying my way. Before I can do anything, I am struck in the face. I step back hurt but not shocked . Everyone holds their breath waiting for my response. I grab my cheek then just laugh. "Weak."

***

I groan once more at the thought. I spot my next class. Science. I walk in with a smile on my face until I spot the professor. Sherlock stands at the front of the room, with his normal attire on still looking as attractive as ever. I sit down in an empty seat just as class starts.

"Welcome class. I'm Mr. Baines, your substitute professor for the day," he announces with a straight face, just briefly looking in my direction as he scans the classroom.

"What kind of last name is that?" The kid next to me chuckles. He brushes back his hair before turning my way as I speak. I scoff before smirking back.

"Baines? More like the bane of my existence," I state as the boy next to me smiles, pleased with my snarky remark.

"I'm Mitch," the boy introduces himself. "You're new, right?"

"Yes, the name's Sheralyn," I mumble before 'professor Baines' shushes the class.

"Let's begin class. Again, I'm Mr. Baines, the substitute professor for this week. Attendance. Who's absent?" He asks. Nobody responds, "Great, a quiet class."

"I can change that,"" I whisper too loudly.

"What was that?" I get called out by 'Mr.Baines'.

"Nothing, nothing at all. Let's begin class," I make the other students laugh.