The Dice Man

􀀕􀀝2:13 a.m

Only four more hours for the sun to rise. You won't need electricity anymore; the technicians can fix it in the morning. The current cut off at 11:00, and you're in your bed, staring at the clock, willing time to go faster.Partially submerged under the covers, you hear a strange sound. It's indescribable. It isn't knocking, scratching, nor banging. Maybe it's just the wind, you assure yourself, even though you know it's not. There have been rumours, scary rumours, about a murderer known as The Dice Man. He'd just escaped from prison, and was loose in your area. You have your cell phone next to you. You check it, it's dead. And it can't be charged because there's no electricity within a mile from you. The perfect opportunity for a killer to sneak in.

You check the clock again. 2:57. Almost 3:00. You suddenly remember. Isn't 3:00 the witching hour? Pulling the blanket over your head, you feel secure. But you can't help thinking that someone's watching you. You get up for a glass of warm milk, hoping that it would put you to sleep. You walk downstairs, in the dark, to the kitchen. After draining your glass, you head back upstairs back to bed. You hear that sound again, this time closer.

You freeze, trying to hide in plain sight in the dark. You see a large figure in the dark. It's coming closer. Your heart pounds in your chest. You start sweating profusely. The figure stops when it's right in front of you. 'Roll the dice,' it said, setting something on the table. You just keep staring. 'Roll the dice,' it repeats , more forcefully. 'If you get two sixes, you win. If you don't, I will kill you.' Blood is rushing through your veins. You slowly pick up the dice and roll it about in your hands, praying for two sixes. You drop the dice, and hold your breath. Peering in the dark, you see something you hadn't expected. A six! Two of them!

The figure in the dark is silent. You can hear it's breathing. Finally it said, 'Congratulations, but you know the rules. If you get double numbers, roll again'.