Before the Ritual

Chief Manti was concerned with Kaitan. The young paleman was concerned about the palewoman, who he called Julie. He listened as he explained how the woman, who he found while hunting, was getting worried about being wild. She came from a faraway land she referred to as "California", and contained many magic items that the Teo tribe had never seen before.

But because she was separated from her tribe, Julie had spent the last several months with Kaitan, learning how to live on their life-giving island. She was actually getting along well, and she mentioned that her uncle had taught her how to survive in the wild. But Kaitan had to teach her several things, like making spears. Should that not be known by people from "California?"

"I understand you want her to be part of the tribe," said Manti. "But she has not yet discovered her inner beast."

"That is why I wish to speak to you," said Kaitan, inside the chief's hut. The Teo tribe is Polynesian, so Polynesian designs decorated the chief's hut. Of course, the Teo have their own beliefs, and part of their tradition is that they are both human and animal (humans are animals, but it's more of a combination of the wild and civilized). "She has not."

Manti froze. "Why not?"

"She has tried," said Kaitan. "She wishes to become a beast, but it must be her upbringing. She cannot. I after all, took some time before I could become one, too."

"You did come to us when you were older," said Manti. Kaitan himself is sort of a Tarzan clone, dressed in nothing but a loincloth. He once had long hair, but Julie made him get a haircut. He's only been on this island since he was 15, though. "And you did, after all. It is not something that our people have been particularly skilled at. It takes a long time."

"But she's getting impatient," said Kaitan.

"She must be patient," said Manti. "Go and tell her this. After all, we will not exile her if she cannot embrace her inner animal; I understand how you feel about her."

"Thank you chief," said Kaitan. He stood up to leave, but Manti was not finished.

"Kaitan, will you participate in the ceremony tonight?"

"The dance, yes," said Kaitan, "But not the hunt ritual."

"I see," said Manti. Then, he got an idea. "Perhaps Julie might be interested; I shall discuss this with Kame [the tribe's shaman]. He might have an answer."

"Thank you," said Kaitan. "I'm going to go find Julie and tell her the news." He got up and left the hut.

"And if she is not interested in the ritual," Manti said, "Perhaps there is something you can do."

"Right, of course," he said.

Now he needed to find her, but he didn't know where. "What are you looking for, Kaitan?" a woman asked. He turned and looked at a middle-aged woman, one he was familiar with.

"Hello, Onna," he said. "Have you seen Julie?"

"She is at the south end of the village," she said, "Burning her old clothes." Oh, the south end—BURNING!?

His thought process was single-minded. He had to find her, had to stop her, find out what she was doing! He rushed to the south entrance of the village. He noticed the smoke. This is bad! He raced to the south entrance only to find that Julie was a safe distance away looking over a controlled burn.

... And completely naked.

"Julie, what are you doing!?" he said as he came up to her. "And why are you naked?"

"I'm burning my old clothes," she said matter-of-factly. "And haven't I seen you walking around the village naked?"

"Yes, but—" Kaitan quickly stopped himself for fear of making himself look like a hypocrite. The Canadian jungle dude thought for a moment, thinking of something to say. "Why are you burning your clothes?"