Day Two: Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Unable to sleep, Deidre paced, trying hard to shake the sensations clouding her head. Her body was on fire, her hands shaking, her thoughts so scattered, she wasn’t able to think. All it took was a kiss from Gabriel, and the words that thrilled her.

I’ll touch and kiss you whenever I feel like it.

She sighed dreamily then shook her head. She was exhausted but couldn’t sleep. She didn’t understand how humans could feel so much and still function when she was overwhelmed. She wasn’t going to fall under the spell of Gabriel’s strong body, his passion, his taste. Her first kiss as a human obliterated any resistance she had to him. He tasted as good as he smelled. Those huge hands had started to explore her body in a way that left her feeling feminine, delicate, and willing to let him take control in a way she never permitted him before.

With a frustrated growl, she threw herself into bed. It was bedtime on her side of the world, but dawn was breaking the sky outside her windows. Her eyes went to the green glow of souls again. The sight dulled her desire. She walked to the French doors.

There had to be millions of lost souls to create that vibrant of a glow. She’d broken the rules from the time-before-time for a chance with Gabriel. What else had she broken to cause Gabriel so much hardship? Lost souls, shut out of the underworld, was the greatest nightmare for Death. The innocent were vulnerable to creatures like Darkyn.

Deidre struggled to remember if this had ever happened before and if so, how it was fixed. Her memory was stunted by whatever Darkyn did to her. Without them, she’d never know for sure. How did Gabriel get souls back to the underworld if he wasn’t allowed there?

In the meantime, the lost souls were stuck in a lake in the mortal world. She’d taken her duty seriously, even if it caused everyone around her to hate her. But she protected her souls. They never once suffered because of what choices she made.

Until now. The underworld was cracked when she left; that much she remembered. It was the sign it was time to resign, for her power was nearly gone. Gabriel was the only person she trusted to take over.

Deidre watched the sunrise, awed by the colors that filled the sky. The verdant pines outside the fortress wall were beautiful, and she watched their long pine needles stir in an early morning breeze. When the sun was up, she retreated from the French doors, troubled by the lost souls and what she did to make Gabriel’s life worse, when she’d hoped to make it better.

 A knock at her door drew her attention from her thoughts. She waited. If it was Gabriel, he’d made it clear he’d walk in. When no one did, she crossed to the door and opened it, startled by who stood before.

“Andre!” she exclaimed.

The Immortal offered a polite smile. Deidre recalled dealing with him many times before without remembering exactly what they’d discussed. The only calm, civilized Immortal on the Council That Was Seven, she had sought him out rather than try to reason with the irrational leaders of the Council.

“I brought you breakfast,” he said. His French accent rolled off his deep voice in a way that made her smile.

She realized he was holding a tray of food. Deidre opened her door to him and closed it behind him.

“Gabriel raised you?” she asked curiously.

“He did a few days ago.”

“My Gabriel. Breaking all the rules.” She was proud of him. He used to frown at her when she acted outside the Immortal Laws, unable to appreciate that a deity charged with managing a domain often had to take steps outside the rules to protect one’s underworld.